Help And Advice Please :) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th June 2013, 09:48 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Unhappy Help And Advice Please :)

Ok, so I'm working on this small system for my large living room. I need help and recommendations if possible. So far I have purchased two Behringer B208D powered speakers (I'm thinking of getting two more to put one in each corner of my living room). I also purchased a Behringer XENYX 502 Mixer to go with it. What I want to know is if this mixer will do if I want to hook up 2 or four of these speakers and also will I need a crossover. I am using this for my video sound system and music audio system all in one. So, basically I have a few options and here they are...please help me out.

Option 1) Two powered speakers with just the mixer.

Option 2) Four powered speakers with mixer.

Option 3) Either option 1 or two with a powered subwoofer and if so what do you recommend?

And last but not least do I really need a crossover for any of the options above? I am looking to have a decent system for both music and sports and a movie here and there.

So, what option is optimal for what I'm trying to do here? Please tell me what would be best.

If it's important my living room is about 200-225 square ft. I would like it to be loud but not over the top neither if you know what I mean. This system will be hooked up to a laptop/tv/projector.

Please help and thank you very much for taking the time to read this. I really do appreciate it

Last edited by illpapi; 9th June 2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old 10th June 2013, 01:16 AM   #2
DUG is offline DUG  Canada
diyAudio Member

Behringer B208D powered speakers:

"Active 200-Watt 2-Way PA Speaker System with 8" Woofer and 1.35" Compression Driver"

http://www.behringer.com/assets/B208...ebBrochure.pdf

Specs on last page.

I have a 20W/ch TPA3116 and Signet SL-16's. My LR is about the same and it can be loud enough to prevent conversation.

I would say to try two and form your own opinion before spending more.

Old 10th June 2013, 02:15 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Ok. Thank you! I went to the link and realized that these speakers basically have their own crossover so I should try them as is and see what I get. So, should I refrain from purchasing a woofer at this time as well? Or do you think I should get a nice little thump from the 8's? I was hoping to find a 12 powered subwoofer to run with them but maybe I have enough here and don't even know it. Thanks again.

Last edited by illpapi; 10th June 2013 at 02:27 AM.
Old 10th June 2013, 05:13 AM   #4
DUG is offline DUG  Canada
diyAudio Member

Try what you have first.

SL-16's are a 6" and tweeter.

Old 12th June 2013, 02:03 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

A pair of 8" two-ways with a decent subwoofer should be plenty, unless you want to go for surround sound (note: very few mixing desks can be used for that: you'll need an awful lot of AUX channels).

This is a DIY forum, why not build a sub?

Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!