Subwoofer as Microphone--A Question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th June 2013, 09:39 AM   #1
didge is offline didge  United States
diyAudio Member

Question Subwoofer as Microphone--A Question

Hi, I'm using a subwoofer as a microphone for low frequencies on a didgeridoo and find that it seems to pitch shift everything slightly downward. I've read about adding a pad switch, and that it is important that impedances match, and the possibility of using a DI box. But all this is in the context of how it is a hot, unbalanced signal, prone to distortion and feedback, etc. Nothing I have read tells me why this pitch shift might be happening. I am hoping someone here might have a good explanation.

I do understand that every mic (or speaker used as a mic) is going to have a different frequency response curve. I also understand that the subjective perception of pitch is colored by the relative loudnesses of the various harmonics that make for timbre. So, perhaps my perception of pitch shift is just an illusion based on the different cones and their respective frequency response curves, but it really seems too pronounced to be just this. I've compared the sub-mic (a 4 or 5 inch Genesis subwoofer) to a Sennheiser e906 mic, and the sub-mic seems about a 1/4 tone lower in pitch.

So I'm asking, would the fact that the impedance of the sub-as-mic likely does not match the input impedance on my pre-amp be responsible for pitch shifting the signal? Is there another potential explanation? Any way to correct it (other than finding a different speaker)?
Old 7th June 2013, 10:07 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
Complicated electronics is required to "Pitch Shift". The sub will give more lower register than upper but cannot shift the pitch on its own, whatever the impedance mismatch or whatever.
Yamaha Music use a 4" bass speaker as a kick drum mic and it works very well!
Old 7th June 2013, 11:14 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

"Complicated electronics is required to "Pitch Shift". The sub will give more lower register than upper but cannot shift the pitch on its own, whatever the impedance mismatch or whatever."

That's what I am inclined to think.

"Yamaha Music use a 4" bass speaker as a kick drum mic and it works very well!"

Now why would I waste my money on that?! I'm sure it works great, but it would be a $400 waste when less than $50 and some time will get the same results--or better from some of the reviews I read.
Old 7th June 2013, 12:07 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I don't think it is necessary to use a subwoofer for that purpose in the first place ! A smaller driver like they use with the aforementioned Yamaha mic would take up your didgeridoo as well IMO.

Regarding phase shift: Did you ever try to connect a resistor with very few ohms accross the subs terminals ? You may probably excite the subs fs and perceive the ringing on fs as pitch-shift. If you load it then you will dampen the resonance. But this comes at the cost of lower output voltage.

Regards

Charles
Old 7th June 2013, 12:25 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The aforementioned Yamaha mic IS a subwoofer. See SKRM-100SFV - Subkick - Acoustic Drum Accessories - Drums - Musical Instruments - Products - Yamaha United States
And it is 6.5", not 4". (Unless there is another Yamaha subwoofer mic I haven't heard about)
I have experimented with a variety of mics vs. subwoofers, and no small diaphragm mic can capture the low end like a subwoofer. Not even with the added bass effect of placing the mic right up in the bell end of the instrument. And not with fancy EQ either. But I'm not here to defend my experiment-backed point that, no, you can't get as impressive results with a small diaphragm. I am here to ask for advice regarding the pitch shift issue...

No, I have not connected a resistor or anything like that. I'm not sure I understand: "You may probably excite the subs fs and perceive the ringing on fs as pitch-shift."
Old 7th June 2013, 12:34 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Do you have access to a spectrum analyzer or osciloscoop with FFT math? if it really is a pitch shift it should show up in the frequency domain, if you use a sine wave as input signal and compare it to the signal from the woofer they should overlap if there is no pitch shift. If there is a pitch shift probably some sidebands are generated (AM modulation)
Old 7th June 2013, 06:51 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Intermodulation distortion can cause sum and difference frequencies to appear in a signal. Perhaps you are hearing the IM difference signal instead of the fundamental as your "frequency shift".
I worked on a thunder recording project in 1972, where we used commercial microphones that were specified to be flat 100 to 1/3 hz. They had about a 2" diaphragm.
Old 7th June 2013, 07:39 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I haven't yet, but I can open it in Ableton Live, which has a decent spectrum analyzer. Can you elaborate on what you mean when you say "If there is a pitch shift, probably some sidebands are generated (AM modulation)"?
Old 7th June 2013, 08:00 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Indianajo, can you elaborate on what you mean by intermodulation distortion? Sum and difference frequencies make sense to me, but sum and difference of what two starting frequencies? Is this related to what Mark.Clappers said?
Old 7th June 2013, 10:36 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Yes, sidebands and sum and difference frequencies are two different names for the same phenomenon. See Intermodulation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If your speaker as microphone is non-linear (and there is no reason to think it is not, linearity costs money and a lot of testing to achieve) then a sine wave going in comes out as the fundamental frequency plus other frequencies. There may be more than one frequency generated, in fact a whole range of them.

Hide this!Advertise here!