Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th May 2013, 06:59 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m R g S r View Post
Nah $10k wouldn't even touch what he wants to do. Don't forget proper wiring adds up very quickly as well. And make sure there is adequate power coming into the place, if not, expect a service upgrade as well.
I'm talking about pretty crappy subs and tops for 3 zones plus a mixing board and cables. Very basic.
Old 10th May 2013, 07:33 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Money spent on measuring the acoustics of the room will pay back in performance. Most venues fail to do proper acoustic treatment of the room first, which no equipment can compeletely compensate for. So start with finding a competent company to measure and recommend room treatment. You can save a LOT of money by building your own absorbers and diffusers as they spec. Then work with them on the interior layout. If you have an architect, make sure he is qualified in acoustics. Good luck.
Old 11th May 2013, 05:31 AM   #13
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Visiting a trade show would let you sample a lot of different stuff. I happened to be in London (UK) when the PLASA show was on; the selection of stuff was mind-blowing. If you're over in the UK or Europe, visit some superclubs in Ibiza. Perhaps you should set up the patio for foam nights.

Pro sound and disco trade magazines have profiles of various club installations, often with lists of the sound and lighting equipment and maybe more usefully, the names of the architects and designers responsible.

When it comes to mixers, the ideal booth would have more than one. Some house DJs will prefer a classic rotary mixer like the UREI 1620 and an RLA style "isolator" crossover.
Old 11th May 2013, 06:26 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Location: West Australia, straight over the road from the beach, natural ambient sounds only.
Default Try Before You Buy....

Contact an AV rental/hire company....most venues run hired installations.
Hire equipment companies also have good knowledge of what sounds good, and what breaks.

Dan.
Old 12th May 2013, 11:06 AM   #15
Xoc1 is offline Xoc1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Hushlounge
When you say you want to be able to run a DJ are we talking Digital only or Digital and Analogue i.e. Record players?
In my experience the fundamental thing to get right is the quality of the audio from the DJ booth. If you are planning to use vinyl then that can involve some fairly involved engineering to get right. Even with digital sources care taken over the audio quality coming from the DJ booth can fundamentally improve the whole clubbing experience.
Old 12th May 2013, 02:45 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hushlounge View Post
I am opening a nightclub that all the sound and lighting equipment was taken out of the building. I know very little of what I need and need help deciding. I am not looking to go cheap for no reason. I want quality sound as this will be a high end nightclub/ lounge. The inside of the building is 5000 sq ft, there is a 5000 sq ft patio outside, and a 5000 sq ft rooftop balcony. I want equipment to be able to run a DJ inside as well as outside. The outside DJ would be mixing music for the patio and the rooftop. Normally the music on the rooftop will be quiet but want the ability to have it loud as well.

Not sure if anyone in here will know about lighting as well but needing ideas for that as well if someone knows somewhere I can go or has information for me.

Thanks in advance.
The Infocomm show will be in Orlando this year -in your home state. That's the show to go to for anything installed audio-video.

Concerning budget, I just installed a big 3-story club in california a year ago (but not as big as the one we are talking about here) and we came in at around 150K and were still needing more!
They wanted DJ, Bands, distributed HD video and lighting with the ability to do different things on different floors simultaneously.

-Just a current Pioneer DJ booth setup (Serato, 2 CDJ's, 1 DJM and a couple technics 1200's will run you close to $10K without a single speaker installed!

There are companies that specialize in this that cover your state and I've even worked with a couple of good ones on some projects out there.

Wiring infrastructure to handle any scenario and then designing to operate by inexperienced bar staff are the two largest concerns in a club.
Actual speakers and amps are the smaller concern -but generally the fun easy part.
Old 15th May 2013, 01:02 AM   #17
zouwi is offline zouwi  Finland
diyAudio Member

Good place to start is to contact major brand dealerships, they have lots of contacts to consult/install companies. Major aspect to consider is possible scalability of the system when eventually something needs to be changed.

Here's a few major brands: L'acoustics, D&B audiotechnik, NEXO, JBL, Meyer sound, EAW, Danley.
Old 3rd December 2013, 09:16 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zouwi View Post
Good place to start is to contact major brand dealerships, they have lots of contacts to consult/install companies. Major aspect to consider is possible scalability of the system when eventually something needs to be changed.

Here's a few major brands: L'acoustics, D&B audiotechnik, NEXO, JBL, Meyer sound, EAW, Danley.

+1 on the above brands. I especially like Nexo.

So, how did it turn out?
Old 4th December 2013, 02:48 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

I'm guessing its hush lounge In boca raton? I'll be down early February, if you're around I'll come check out the space! (If it's still under construction)

Hide this!Advertise here!