PR10s in the garage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I started a thread a while back asking about pr10s as garage speakers. Went ahead and ordered a pair and they are now hanging on the front wall, all hooked up and everything. One important disclosure here: I'm 65, and can't hear much above 13k.

The "system" is a two part setup. I have an old (80s) Radio Shack receiver i use as a radio. It has analogue tuning, which I like, and I use it because when you put it on a station, it stays on the station. Other than that, I can't say much good about it except i bought it about 30 years ago and it still works. The speaker outs go to a switch.

The second part is a Gateway computer that has my cd collection ripped to flac files and fed to a McIntosh M2205. This amp is autoformer coupled and one of a handful of ss amps I actually like. Not at all "Edgy" and I have never had speakers hooked to it that the old gal didn't grab by the short curlys and tell them when to jump and how high. Very good control over the speakers, Pr10s included and they sound very nice with a good source. I would say impressive.

I read reviews where people said they needed subs. Maybe in a pro environment, but for the music I listen to, plenty of bass for me. Classic rock, jazz, some metal, do-wop. a little of everything. Bass is quite good. In fact I turned it down 2 clicks on the radio and still good. Tight, well defined.

Vocals are excellent. Male, Female, transvestite, all excellent and well balanced, not shouty (is that a word??). I like female vocals and jazz singers, not disappointed at all.

Highs are nice as well. Cymbals are well defined and clear. Detail is pretty good. I was worried they may not perform at low, neighbor friendly, volumes. Not to worry, you still get pretty good sound out of these little guys. I use them at the total opposite of what they were designed for, so far I have only run maybe 2 watts through them and have no complaints. They have maybe 10 hours on them total, so should get better. Pro speakers or not, all drivers are stiff when new and need to be ran in some. I'll put 40 or so hours on them and blast em a little.

These things are tough. I have no doubts that i could have kicked them down the driveway to the garage and wouldn't have hurt anything except maybe my toes. If you stand looking at them straight on with the tweeters about eye height, they sound a little bright. Move off axis a little and they settle right down. But, you either like horns or you don't. My living room speakers are Klipsch RF7s and I really like em

Bottom line: At $324.00 delivered to your door these speakers are a steal. They sound good, will fill the garage with music without breathing hard, and are dam near indestructible. In my opinion the best kept secret in casual audio that i have heard and at least ten times better than anything in it's weight class that fill the shelves at the big box stores. Regards, J.D.

Missed your previous thread. Have a pair of Impulse 100's, think they sounded great at moderate volumes in the stock configuration. Modified them for high output PA use and the sound excellent:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...inets-improving-internal-bracing-damping.html

At the very least, I would pull the baffles off your cabs, swap the polarity on the tweeters, plug two of the ports each cab, and seal the baffle to the cab when you replace it. Should make a dramatic improvement in bass extension and overall sound quality.

PV10s/12s are great...

Just can't take much power below 60Hz. If your taste in music includes the
modern stuff, and you want it loud, you'll need some help. The problem is
that the PV10's/12's don't move far enough

I've done several Tapped Horns, and my current PA uses PV12's above 100Hz
elevated two feet above the subs. I'm putting 250 watts thru each PV12 and
400 watts thru each sub.

Attachments

• 8x10pro.JPG
    8x10pro.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 71
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.