The Local Roadie Club :cool: - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th May 2013, 08:11 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Amen to that, Brother
Old 17th May 2013, 11:58 PM   #32
imix500 is offline imix500  United States
diyAudio Member

Up until last July, I have been a soundguy all my life. Now I work for a large lighting rental company here in Nashville.

As an aside I think we rent as many Vari-Lite fixtures as martin, but most of the arc source fixtures are Varilite (VL2500,VL3000,VL3500) and most of the Martin are LED (101,301,Aura). Completely different products really. Even Martins arc source fixtures are completely different from Vari-Lite in how they are designed and built.

The modified Martin Moving Head/Spotlight is interesting. Kinda a waste of a moving head fixture though. There are other products out there that would require a whole lot less bastardizing.

The craziest gig I have done to date was back in 2005 for a former employer in NYC that I worked for almost 10 years.
The gig was a daughters party in the Top Of The Rock by a then extremely wealthy man who is no longer free. He had some less than honest practices as a defense contractor for the armed forces.

The job was 36 hours non-stop from when we got the space to when we had to be out. We transformed the top two floors into 3 concert venues for about 200 guests. The party started at 6pm the next day and was over at 6am the following. We had to be out by 12 noon. The lineup included:

Don Henley and Joe Walsh
50 Cent
Stevie Nicks and Don Henley
Ciara
Tom Petty (A fairly rare acoustic set)
Steven Tyler and Joe Perry (They played a show that night and were flown on the hosts private jet to go on at 4am)

Yeah, this was for a 15 year old girls party. Allegedly he spent a little over 8mil$

Everything went fairly well considering soundcheck for these artists was a fraction of what they normally get. (50 Cent did make the guests leave the room for his. Oh, and the whole room smelled like Hennessy after he and his entourage left)

We made a ton of money for that gig (can you say double overtime with half a dozen penalties thrown on top?) But it's not one I think I could do again without strategically placed naps not in an empty upright console case.
Old 18th May 2013, 01:53 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Location: West Australia, straight over the road from the beach, natural ambient sounds only.
Default Pearls To Swines...

Sounds like quite a show, though a few of the old school performers might have been lost on the fifteen year olds...

Dan.
Old 18th May 2013, 01:36 PM   #34
imix500 is offline imix500  United States
diyAudio Member

Yeah, it was painfully obvious the daughter didn't really care about the older rockers. It was even worse when a couple of them brought her up on stage. She was mortified.
It was as much showing off for his friends as a celebration for his daughter. Super guy.
Old 18th May 2013, 05:01 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

My gigs weren't anywhere as big as your guys, mostly bar bands & such, before I went back to engineering school to get my design chops in order. The local sound company still had me on tap for gigs at the University since I was on site, which is how this call at the Student's Union club happened. Main act was a four piece band (drums, bass, guitar / singer, keyboards) with a stand-up comic opening, a reasonable lineup for 1983 when standup was starting to take off. The band was a good bunch of players, so the mix was more or less set & forget. The comic, a young guy, gave me a list of tape cues, again nothing too onerous, so I figured running the follow spot along with his audio would be a piece of cake.

Show time.

"Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome a rising star, Jim Carrey!"

Imagine, if you will, chasing a fully energized 21 year old Jim Carrey around a club with a follow spot (he's here...no, he's in the crowd!...****, he's over there!), trying to remember your tape cues in the chaos, while bent over double from gut-laughing hard enough that your belly hurts the next day. The only thing which saved my *** was his impeccable microphone technique.

Hide this!Advertise here!