Record audio from mixer problem - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th April 2013, 03:16 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Record audio from mixer problem

Hi,

I am trying to record live audio from my mixer.
Please take a look at the picture I have attached so you can see what ports I have available.

I have done some research and what I know is that I need to use this cable:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Tex-3-...ords=rca+cable

and plug it into a computer to record

I understand that the cable goes into the tape out ports in the mixer but the problem is that the tape out is already being used to get the mixer to connect to this home audio system thing which then plays the audio live out of speakers.

So what is the solution?
The port is already being used, so what can I do?

Many Thanks for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (442.1 KB, 102 views)
Old 12th April 2013, 04:08 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

You can simply plug into the MAIN OUT L+R XLR connectors in the top right hand corner of the desk and then run them to either the home audio system, or the computer, whichever you prefer. I would recommend running the CD/TAPE OUT to the line in of your computer and then the MAIN OUT into the home audio system.

Depending on what input connectors are used on the home audio system (they will probably be RCA/phono), you will need to buy an XLR to RCA/phono (or whatever other connector type your system inputs are on). This is wired to convert the balanced MAIN OUT (XLR's are normally used with balanced signals) to unbalanced RCA/phono. You should be able to get it from amazon too.

Hope this helps.
Old 12th April 2013, 04:30 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply

So if I use the cable I linked in my opening post to connect to a computer and then use this cable:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sockets-Phon...s=xlr+to+phono

put that into the main out and then put the other end into the home audio system.

would that work?

many thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 06:58 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Depending on how they've wired the adaptor, those cables should work fine, though you may find you're having to run the master faders a bit low; XLRs are generally used at broadcast (+4 dBu) levels, while RCAs are normally used at domestic (-10 dBu) Alternatively, there are jack sockets in parallel with the XLRs, and jack to RCA cables should be cheaper than XLR to RCA.

Or, since the outputs are low impedance you could use a simple Y-adaptor cable, one RCA male to two females, sometimes with a bit of wire in :-http://www.amazon.de/mumbi-Verteiler-Y-Adapter-Cinch-Y-Kabel-Stecker/dp/B003RI8Y6Y/ref=pd_sxp_grid_i_0_2 , sometimes without:- Cinchverteiler Chinchverteiler Cinch Chinch Verteiler: Amazon.de: Elektronik (those pictures come from Amazon, but unfortunately Germany), which can afterwards be used for a variety of signal distribution tasks (but not for mixing stereo signals into mono).
Old 13th April 2013, 08:43 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Sorry, I didn't really understand that!
My knowledge of audio isn't great!!

But would the thing I said above work?
Old 13th April 2013, 09:47 PM   #6
djcgtr is offline djcgtr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enforcer786 View Post
Sorry, I didn't really understand that!
My knowledge of audio isn't great!!

But would the thing I said above work?
Greetings

I see what you wish to do. The RCA outputs from the mixer are the same audio content as the XLR main out OR 1/4 inch main out.

Looking at the DFX mixer block diagram from Mackie.com - I might recommend using cables to your playback/monitor audio (your stereo), with 1/4 inch MONO plug to RCA plug cables.

The reason for that is it will not only be slightly less money for these cables, instead of XLR, but mainly because the 1/4 inch main outs on this mixer are impedance balanced and the XLR main outs are "true" balanced.

An adaptor cable with XLR to RCA has to eliminate one of the "hot" connections in the XLR. XLR Pins 2 and 3 in a true balanced audio line, both have audio but are in opposite polarity. When an adapter is used to go to RCA for instance - it likely connects pin 3 to pin 1 and is shorting the audio drive on pin 3 to common.

If the XLR out was impedance balanced - pin 3 in this case would not have audio drive on that pin and is safe and ok to "short" that to common and end up with a unbalanced audio connection. It is preferred to not short out a driven output pin to common...

Going back to the block diagram, I note that the 1/4 inch main outs are derived from only one audio out of the true balanced XLR out pins.
So, this is a good way to connect the main out by 1/4 inch MONO plug to RCA. No potential harm with the mono plug in that jack because the "ring" connection on the TRS 1/4 inch plug in this output jack has no audio drive from the mixer circuitry.

If you did need to use "balanced" output from the TRS (tip, ring, sleeve) jacks, you would use a TRS plug. No need to go into the intricacies of impedance balanced theory in your application, other than the major difference of how a balanced output is achieved.
The block diagram does show a buffer amp with 2 actual, out of polarity, audio drives for the XLR outs. It is true balanced.

Again, I suggest using 1/4 inch male Mono (tip, sleeve) to RCA male adapter cables and you are good to go.

Hope this helps a little.
Carry on

Deric

Last edited by djcgtr; 13th April 2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old 14th April 2013, 01:31 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Really sorry to bother you!!
I didn't understand what you meant, I must stress that my knowledge of audio and mixers is weak and I have no idea what all this terminology means lol

Could you please advise me with a link, what cable I need to get and how to do it.

ManyThanks
Old 15th April 2013, 12:14 AM   #8
djcgtr is offline djcgtr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enforcer786 View Post
Really sorry to bother you!!
I didn't understand what you meant, I must stress that my knowledge of audio and mixers is weak and I have no idea what all this terminology means lol

Could you please advise me with a link, what cable I need to get and how to do it.

ManyThanks
Ok
I guess I am allowed to put this website item from Amazon.
I personally do not use Amazon but this is an example of the cable.

Amazon.com: Live Wire RCA-1/4" Dual Patch Cable 1 Meter: Electronics

This cable will feed the audio from your mixer (1/4 inch MAIN outputs) to your stereo and could use the RCA plugs into an AUX input on your stereo.

You would continue to use the MIXER RCA jacks you have hooked to your computer already.

You will be able to listen to what is coming from the mixer with your stereo.
Keep in mind that if you are using a microphone into the mixer to record, you do not want to have the stereo in use because the audio in the room will be picked up by the mic from the stereo.

However you wish to run the mixer into the computer AND the stereo, is your choice. The mixer RCA out jacks AND the mixer MAIN out jacks have the same audio content.

I understand you are new to this, but what exactly are you wanting for an end result ?
Are you trying to record a live band from the mixer - onto the computer ?

I have a studio here at home and have done a lot of live mixing and stage performance also plus recording....
I just wanted to see what details you could provide.

Last edited by djcgtr; 15th April 2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old 15th April 2013, 01:51 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Thanks for your help.

Take a look at the 2 attached photos to see my setup, as well as the picture attached in my opening post to see the mixer

This is what I need to do:

I manage the audio and video for my fathers business seminars and meetings.

I have a home audio system with 2 speakers connected, which also allows for more to be connected.

I need the audio to be played out live, I already know how to do this. But I also need a cable that will allow me to record all audio going through the mixer onto my laptop, as in it will go into the microphone port.

I have done some research and found that the port on the mixer for that is used to connect the mixer to the home audio system, you can see where it plugs into the system in the picture microphone2.

What I am asking is:

1. Could you please give me a link to a cable that I can purchase which plugs into the mixer and allows me to record the audio on a laptop.

2. Could you recommend a cheap to mid range wireless lapel mic set to use with the mixer.

That cable you linked isn't what I need I think. I need a cable that plugs somewhere into the mixer and on the other end of the cable its 3.5mm standard audio cable which can plug into the microphone port on a laptop and can be recorded with something like audacity.

Please advise - urgently, I need to order the parts today!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg microphone1.jpg (416.4 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg microphone2.jpg (395.1 KB, 67 views)
Old 15th April 2013, 04:30 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Would this cable do the job?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Female-socke...s=xlr+to+3.5mm

Hide this!Advertise here!