Record audio from mixer problem - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th April 2013, 12:33 AM   #11
djcgtr is offline djcgtr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enforcer786 View Post
Hello

What you described in your "info" post explains more of what you are shooting for, in the seminar presentation.

I would suggest leaving the XLR patching, out of your solution, for the reasons I listed in my previous post.

It looks to me that you have a dual RCA cable from the mixer out - to the RCA inputs on the little stereo unit.
That is fine and you said that works, so that part is apparently ok.

Look at your mixer. Notice the 1/4 inch jacks right close to the XLR outputs. These are the 1/4 inch (Main) outputs from the mixer that has the same audio as the tape outputs, as said before.

This is where you can supply the same audio to your laptop for recording everything that comes from the mixer, as I shared previously.

The cable you can use would be a Dual 1/4 inch male MONO plugs on one end and a 3.5 mm male plug on the other end.

This is an example: Amazon.com: Hosa CMP153 Y Cable 1/8 Inch TRS to Dual 1/4 Inch TS Cable - 3 Foot: Musical Instruments

If you need longer than a 3 ft cable - then select the same ends in a longer cable...

Now the caution.
The line level coming out of the mixer at the main outs could easily be stronger than what your laptop mic input can handle, without distortion...
The mic input on the laptop is expecting a mic (low) level input.

One option is to use aux sends on the mixer, instead of the main out - to send a reduced level (by a lower setting on the aux outs) to the laptop. But I am trying to help avoid confusion in consideration of you being somewhat new to this equipment and patching stuff.

Relative levels in audio are important considerations for best performance and least distortion.

In closing, as far as a recommendation on a wireless lav unit...
There are a lot of offerings available. I am not a big fan of lavs but have certainly been involved with them countless times.

You mention low cost....

If it was possible, the ultimate solution for a wireless pack in this case - would be an earset. It is a mini condensor mic, similar to a lav but it hangs around one ear and the element is positioned near the mouth.

Example: E6 Omni Earset Mic - Countryman Associates, Inc.

These simply blow away any lav by providing a much better sound and much less feedback potential. I have convinced many users of wireless to try these and bingo - they are very pleased.
They are NOT inexpensive. They are ordered with a cable end that fits your particular wireless belt pak. So yes, you also would need a wireless pak for whatever brand or style of mic you choose, has the option of the correct connector.

Not to get deeper, but there are diversity wireless available that reduce drop outs in the RF. But that is a whole 'nother discussion. Do you know any one that you could at least borrow or rent a wireless to work with initially ??

I have a session in about 30 minutes here
Hope some of this helps

Deric

Last edited by djcgtr; 16th April 2013 at 12:39 AM.
Old 16th April 2013, 08:18 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Hi,
thanks for your help.

If I purchase that cable where exactly does it go into the mixer?

Based on the pic I supplied in my irst post, the xlr outs being in the top right of the mixer, where do I plug the cable you are reccomending, relative to that?

Also I didn't really understand that 2nd bit - could you please reclarify it and explain what you meant and what I have to do.

Many Thanks!
Old 17th April 2013, 01:54 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi,
thanks for your help.

If I purchase that cable where exactly does it go into the mixer?

Based on the pic I supplied in my irst post, the xlr outs being in the top right of the mixer, where do I plug the cable you are reccomending, relative to that?

Also I didn't really understand that 2nd bit - could you please reclarify it and explain what you meant and what I have to do.

Many Thanks!
Copy from previous post: Look at your mixer. Notice the 1/4 inch jacks right close to the XLR outputs. These are the 1/4 inch (Main) outputs from the mixer that has the same audio as the tape outputs, as said before.

This is where you can supply the same audio to your laptop for recording everything that comes from the mixer, as I shared previously.

The picture in your post #1 is dark where the main outs are located.

Here is the Mackie mixer manual:
http://www.mackie.com/pdf/dfx_om.pdf

On the first page of the manual (.pdf) is a picture of the mixer. Enlarge it a little and you will see a boxed off area with L+R XLR outs and 2 L+R 1/4 inch main out jacks. The jacks and XLRs have a little line between them showing they are Main outs corresponding to L and R.
Right above the headphone jack...

Regarding the "second bit"....what part do you mean specifically ?
Old 17th April 2013, 05:12 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

hey,

thanks for your help.
I have ordered that cable as well as a set that comes with one of those condensor mics and a wireless handheld mic.

Could you clarify this:

Now the caution.
The line level coming out of the mixer at the main outs could easily be stronger than what your laptop mic input can handle, without distortion...

One option is to use aux sends on the mixer, instead of the main out - to send a reduced level (by a lower setting on the aux outs) to the laptop. But I am trying to help avoid confusion in consideration of you being somewhat new to this equipment and patching stuff.

Relative levels in audio are important considerations for best performance and least distortion.

Many thanks!!!
Old 18th April 2013, 06:13 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
hey,

thanks for your help.
I have ordered that cable as well as a set that comes with one of those condensor mics and a wireless handheld mic.

Could you clarify this:

Now the caution.

Many thanks!!!
The mic input on the laptop is a low level audio input.
When running a line level (higher) signal, like what will be on the main outs, even since it is the 1/4 inch main outs (less than the overall level on the XLR main outs), it can overload the mic input on the laptop.

There may be some ability for the laptop circuit to handle a somewhat larger signal, but if it records distorted and garbled on a trial run, try this:

Refer to the manual I provided as a link for your Mackie.

Locate and read about the "aux send" controls on each channel and the aux send master level controls.
You can use these buses to have an independently adjustable level for recording.

The same cable you are getting will also plug right into the aux send 1/4 inch jacks.

If you do go this route, please do Read The Manual and seek to grasp the overall operation of the aux sends and actually the rest of the mixer for that matter....

For starters, perhaps set each channel - aux send controls - to mid position.
Then try mid position on the aux send master controls and use the aux send outputs for your cable to the laptop.

Not to confuse you but auxes are either "pre" or "post" fader - meaning the level coming out of the aux send, on any given channel is affected by the channel slide fader if it is a "post" fader aux...
Read the manual.

Run a test on recording.
You may wish to set the aux send masters up or down - depending on the results of the test recording.

I will say it is a challenge to try to work someone through the operations of an audio mixer in a forum environment.
I do wish to assist you the best I can. Is there any one around you with some mixer experience that could help you ?
The sound classes I have taught before, cover a lot of what you are wanting to learn to do, but that was with people in the same room with me...

Experiment and gain knowledge.

Deric
Old 18th April 2013, 06:23 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Thanks, I will try that out!

My microphones have arrived but the set came with one of those condensor mics, wireless handheld mic and a lapel mic.

how do i maximise the amount of audio picked up by each of these as even when the gain is full its still not very loud.

please advise - many thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 09:15 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks, I will try that out!

My microphones have arrived but the set came with one of those condensor mics, wireless handheld mic and a lapel mic.

how do i maximise the amount of audio picked up by each of these as even when the gain is full its still not very loud.

please advise - many thanks
Start by leaving the lav mic in the box.
Focus your effort on the handheld and earset style mic.

Read the manual for the wireless equipment.

What is the brand(s) and model number(s) of the wireless stuff ?

Do a search on the 'net for explanations on "Gain Structure".
Besides what is described in the Mackie mixer manual for channel input gain adjustment. And the subsequent adjustments on the mixer.

There are multiple stages of gain, starting with the wireless pack and wireless mic (internal adj for gain), into the mixer, and through the mixer, and the volume control on your audio amp/speaker system.
Old 19th April 2013, 12:52 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

hey enforcer
from the pictures you supplied i am left wondering a few things first is the mixer on (powered up) and secondly why are all the unused channels turned up to max as well as the masters this is not good mixer practice as it simply adds noise to your mix that your trying to record!
you didn't include pic's of your speakers are they stand mounted? which to me would be a must to do business presentations.
what is on the other end of that mic line that's patched into channel 1?
Old 20th April 2013, 01:06 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

hey,

thanks for all your help - i have gottene verything to work, thanks for that tip turk!

only issue is the lavallier mic
please advise on how i can fix this!!

it is too quiet!
Old 20th April 2013, 03:45 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Too quiet with the 'gain' potentiometer on the Mackie wound flat out, or too qiet when compared to the others with equivalent settings? Yes, you're likely to have less gain and more room sound on the lapel mic; it's omnidirectional, so picks up everything, and is not optimally placed for voice pick up. It'll also probably require lots more equalisation to sound decent. But that's just typical of that style of microphone.

You haven't given model numbers for the microphones, but some of those body pack transmitters give gain trimmers – generally screwdriver adjust mini potentiometers, occasionally DIL switches – and set them pretty low on delivery, because they don't want them to distort on loud signals. Don't adjust anything like this unless you've read about it in the manual; sometimes they're channel select. Look for preset gain, input gain, input pad, anything like that.

Hide this!Advertise here!