18sound 8nm610 mod / recone? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd April 2013, 11:55 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 18sound 8nm610 mod / recone?

I acquired a pair of these beauties for a reasonable price, mainly because of their very high efficiency. I would, however, like to lower the rolloff (fs in the high 200s with roll-off only a tad below 1 kHz due to very low Q) by opening this sealed chamber.

They are self-enlosed, i.e. the basket is more like a 2.5 l bucket. From the pics, I thought it was screwed onto a conventional basket, but it really forms one piece with the flange. There are two sets of screws on the back, one I suppose holds the connector terminal, the other probably holds the motor in this monster bucket/basket.

Has anybody ever had to recone these things? I can't believe they cast the flange, bucket and whatever holds the spider in place in one piece, so I suspect there is a gap hiding underneath the gasket but I'd hate to ruin gasket and possibly surround in the process of finding out.

Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!