18sound 8nm610 mod / recone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I acquired a pair of these beauties for a reasonable price, mainly because of their very high efficiency. I would, however, like to lower the rolloff (fs in the high 200s with roll-off only a tad below 1 kHz due to very low Q) by opening this sealed chamber.

They are self-enlosed, i.e. the basket is more like a 2.5 l bucket. From the pics, I thought it was screwed onto a conventional basket, but it really forms one piece with the flange. There are two sets of screws on the back, one I suppose holds the connector terminal, the other probably holds the motor in this monster bucket/basket.

Has anybody ever had to recone these things? I can't believe they cast the flange, bucket and whatever holds the spider in place in one piece, so I suspect there is a gap hiding underneath the gasket but I'd hate to ruin gasket and possibly surround in the process of finding out.

Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.