~$250 dj speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2013, 07:15 PM   #1
mudkipz is offline mudkipz  United States
diyAudio Member

Default ~$250 dj speakers

So I'm looking for some dj speakers for around 250 or less each. Cheaper is always better so I can invest in lights or something. Thinking about 15s, probably going to add a sub later when I have more money. I'm perfectly okay with going used. Now I'll be going to college soon so I think portability would be cool but I don't know. I just went to the music store and I really liked the peavy pvx15s. I was also considering carvin pm15s. But I could also get some yamaha s115vs for about 350 used. So basically I'm new at this mobile djing thing, and in your opinion, is the portability of the peavys/carvins worth the more money/slight sacrifice in sound over the yamahas? I know they have a bigger compression driver so does that make a big difference. How does the sound compare between them anyways. Or is there anything else better in this price range? I just really don't know what to do. Oh and I have a behringer ep1500 to power them. I know its not the best but oh well. I plan on playing mostly smallish/medium sized things, think like a wedding venue type of thing.

Also sorry if this makes no sense I really need sleep

Last edited by mudkipz; 29th March 2013 at 08:15 PM.
Old 29th March 2013, 10:08 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

You can build nice stuff for cheaper than buying nice stuff. But in your budget you need to look at new & used stuff, and test it thoroughly. It amazes me how they can build some stuff overseas for less than I can buy the components and materials for. You can buy knock-down flat-packs to build trapezoid enclosures and components from Parts Express, but you can buy complete speaker systems for less money.

Shipping cost becomes the obvious problem with eBay, so sort by distance. Craigs List is a wonderful natural, with its local focus. They come up on shopgoodwill.com occasionally, and don't laugh, I've gotten some great stuff there. A really well-kept secret is the huge volume Guitar Center does in used equipment. They also generally test or service what they take in. And best of all for you (& ME) they have an online directory of their used stuff nationally, and they will ship it to your local store for nothing. You do buy it first, but if you don't like it when it arrives you just get a refund, no hassles. I started collecting a used unpopular niche model, and they had so many I could wait for the periodic price drop. If an item doesn't sell, their policy reduces the price accordign to a schedule. You can often find several of the same item for different prices.

Having been in the business, I will advise that it's nice to have flexible compatible units that you can reconfigure to match the venue and add to later. But Bose burned me badly when the foam surrounds rotted out on 256 drivers, so avoid foam surrounds.

Efficiency matters, and size matters.

Good luck, and follow your ears.

Last edited by cyclecamper; 29th March 2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old 29th March 2013, 11:51 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Crossovers confused me too much so I gave up on the diy thing. I actually made up my mind and decided to get some yamaha s115vs, actually used at guitar center, for $350 shipped. I'm not excited about moving them but oh well. So yeah, this was pointless.
Old 30th March 2013, 04:14 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudkipz View Post
Crossovers confused me too much so I gave up on the diy thing. I actually made up my mind and decided to get some yamaha s115vs, actually used at guitar center, for $350 shipped. I'm not excited about moving them but oh well. So yeah, this was pointless.
Yamaha clubs are fine and that is decent price "if they are functional". DIY Subwoofers can still beat most manufactured products dollar per dollar.
Old 30th March 2013, 06:15 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

omg no someone else bought them like 5 minutes before me excuse me while I go cry :'( They were in like perfect condition. I was definitely planning on a diy sub or two though, maybe put the tops on them with poles.
Old 1st April 2013, 08:22 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

How would two yorkville nx300s do for $325? I can't find much about them.
Old 2nd April 2013, 02:02 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

The nx300s look like a good deal. New theyre $800 a pair up here. Definetly need a sub though just to get some booty shakin'. Yorkville's a good name. Buying name brand used equipment is your best bet when starting out. That way it'll have good resale value when its time to upgrade.

Last edited by Top Shelf; 2nd April 2013 at 02:05 AM. Reason: more
Old 2nd April 2013, 02:16 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I'm going for those then and build an 18, add a second one later. thank you
Old 25th August 2013, 03:45 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudkipz View Post
I'm going for those then and build an 18, add a second one later. thank you

consider the MTX 1200's
Amazon.com: MTX TP1200 Audio ThunderPro II 2-Way Professional Loudspeaker: Electronics

Not high end, but within your price range. Have a lot of friend who use them for their home audio lol....which is a tad over kill. IMO - they would be your best bet for speakers. Then just build your sub.
Old 26th August 2013, 01:14 AM   #10
wg_ski is offline wg_ski  United States
diyAudio Member

MTX1200... Yamaha S115.... It's a no brainer - the Yamaha is at least a 'real' speaker. The MTXs aren't sensitive enough and you'll end up blowing them trying to get volume.

Hide this!Advertise here!