diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   PA Systems (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pa-systems/)
-   -   DJ Speakers (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pa-systems/230568-dj-speakers.html)

dflippo 21st February 2013 08:07 PM

DJ Speakers

I am just starting in the DJ business, using 2nd hand equipment
HTML Code:

with not may gigs, yet. My current speakers are a couple of powered Peaveys running out of a Numark mixer. I put them on stands, usually. Being a little past my prime, those suckers are heavy, and I'm looking for good speakers, stand mountable, capable of good powerful sound, just a lighter. Most vendors don't list weight as a specification. Any suggestions appreciated.
"Fair Winds and Following Seas"

Cal Weldon 21st February 2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dflippo (Post 3380124)
"Fair Winds and Following Seas"

"Fast enough to get there, but slow enough to see,
- moderation seems to be the key."

What size bass unit do you need?

dflippo 21st February 2013 08:35 PM

As a neophyte, I was unaware of the need for a separate bass unit. Both of the Peaveys have bass inert, I assume.

Cal Weldon 21st February 2013 08:36 PM

Let me rephrase. What size woofer do you want in your stand mount speaker? :)

EDIT: What Peavey's do you have and how much do they weigh?

dflippo 21st February 2013 08:40 PM

Unless I miss my measurement, I now have 10"ers. What size would be the minimum?

Cal Weldon 21st February 2013 08:49 PM

I can't answer that. I don't know what you are doing.

If you are unsure about the size then measure the outside of the frame. If it is around 10 - 11" then that's a 10" woofer. If you are happy with that size then consider the composite type cabinets. Here is one from PartsExpress. Behringer 12" 2 way that comes in at 24 lbs. net. You have a powered mixer right, the Peavey speakers are not active are they?

Note: I will be away from the computer for the next 15 minutes.

Behringer B212XL Eurolive 12" 2-Way PA Speaker System 248-6476

dflippo 21st February 2013 08:59 PM

28.5 is a lot better than mine. Just for grins and giggles, I just put mine on the bathroom scales and it came in @ 43.5

Thanx for the suggestion, anyone else got ideas?

Cal Weldon 21st February 2013 09:12 PM

That's with packaging.

Enzo 21st February 2013 11:02 PM

No, he said he had powered PV speakers running from a Numark mixer. The Numark DJ mixers I am familiar with are not powered.

Powered speakers are real convenient, run a cord from the mixer to it and you are done. But that means the extra weight of the amplifier part is in the speaker. The alternative is regular passive speakers with a separate power amp. The speakers will weigh less, but you then have the added hassle of more to hook up. ANother alternative would be the passive speakers and replace the Numark with a powered mixer.

Many DJs use plain old commercial PA systems, but mixers made specifically for the DJ do have some special features. Up to you if you need that. DJ mixers have cue channels, but a PA mixer usually has AUX sends you could use for that or PFL buttons. DJ mixers have crossfaders, but it is not at all difficult to crossfade on a conventional mixer, just slide one channel up as the other slides down.

One way to save some weight is with speaker selection. Most speaker brands nowdays sell some "Neo" speakers. Speakers with a neodymium magnet instead of the common ceramic magnet. Neo magnets are a lot stronger than the ceramics, so are smaller for the same speaker action, and they weigh less. Usually. The Neo is usually featured prominently either in the model number or in the sales information, so it should be easy to spot the speakers using that technology.

I just serviced a Peavey powered subwoofer, and the amp chassis in that weighed VERY little. It used a switching power supply (or "SMPS") and the amplifiers themselves were digital. SO no heavy power transformers or huge filter caps. Digital amps or Class D amps tend to weigh a lot less. There are many brands and models of powered speaker with this newer technology. They weigh less than the older stuff.

I don't always see weight listed in the little descriptive blurb next to the picture, but seems to me most of them include it in the spec detail.

Visit a company like Sweetwater, they have a large selection as well as tutorial information and videos

dflippo 22nd February 2013 12:17 PM

Thanx ENZO, I appreciate the input and advice.