DJ Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I havent read the whole thread so dont shoot me down!

I am using 2x JBL JRX 115's..

they are brilliant for halls and have an optional angled mount!

They handle around 250-500 watts of power (RMS) and ive not been able to blow them up as of yet! (Fingers Crossed). 15" bass-mid driver and a horn compression driver.

jbl-jrx115-speaker-stands.jpg

They go really well with a set of bass bins.

This sounds good but, the one thing I'm trying to avoid ... weight, the spec's I found said they are 61 lbs. each.

Yes they are! But this is probably because of the wood. But i find wood sounds better than plastic!! Avoid plastic!

Ive never had a problem with the weight :p Get down the gym ;) or put caster wheels on them! They are worth the weight ;) Excuse the pun :joker:

Nothing wrong with composite boxes if they are properly engineered.
Wood speakers can be quite lite also, the JBL PRX are some of the lightest in their class.

The problem with the JRX series is that it is made from MDF and not plywood so it is heavier and more fragile in addition to not liking moist environments.

The original poster said on the first page that his current powered speakers are 43.5 lb and he'd like something lighter. That pretty much puts him into a 10" or 12" unpowered speaker with a plastic or 1/2" plywood cabinet, with a compact 1" format compression driver and preferably a neo magnet woofer. Should be pretty easy to buy or build 25-30 lb speaker with those criteria. My peavey impuse 100's with added bracing and damping and a normal woofer are 32lb.

Other option to consider is a hand crank style speaker stand, which will reduce the need to lift the speakers overhead:

K&M 213 Hand Crank Speaker Stand (Black) 21300-009-55 B&H Photo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.