Basic Sound Engineering manual / literature

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AT
in the world of PA and LIVE sound getting good results in bad acoustic environments is the bane of every aspiring soundman sometimes with all the resources you can bring to bear it will still be a compromise.
the EV white paper "the pa bible" is also a good reference although somewhat dated.

The hardest thing is to accept that often you have to do less than optimum sound. I have tried a lot of venues. High school gyms, a theater with 2,8 sec. reverberation time. An almost square concrete cube with just one outlet for both lightning and sound reinforcement.

Beeing able to adjust by ear in realtime is very important. I can't really help with the practical stuff - I think it's to complicated to explain in a forum like this.

Some basic stuff is to know about feedback issues including gain and mic's. It's very important to have a venue that is not on the verge to feed. Both low and high feed is very annoing for the audience. I always test how much the room and stage can take, just to know the limits. You can do a lot with gain and mic placement, as well as monitors/instrument speakers and their placement relative to each other and the mic's.

Very true. One of the few times that I had very good response from the audience was the one that a friend had given me some kind of monster sub. Ita was 1000W unit, mono. I did put it in the center (where else you put a mono...) and passively mixed he inputs. Nobody ever noticed it was mono, as it had 2 x 18" drivers.

The second part of your remarkable post drives me on the Phase problem.
OK, with the graphic equalizer we might flatten amplitude, but what about phase? from your post it looks like IT IS a problem.
BTW that Sub I had wired out of phase, it was sounding much better that way.

all depends on the room and the number of bodies, I'm a less is more type of person, the BBE is my equalizer. Some places it is basically off but I almost always leave the delay on the sub, 2ms is not much.
On my board the eq is normally flat but I will use the individual EQ's on each channel.
Just my experience from running sound in 12-1500 sq foot clubs with 50-200 people and usually the band on stage is too loud.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.