Large scale open baffle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A face-on vertical array would have collapsed the energy beam to the point that vertical coverage (from the front row, to the rear rows), would be inadequate. The existing box is a single point-source with the proper coverage horizontally and vertically to cover the seating - for speech propagation. It has a custom-designed horn, driven by a Renkus-Heinz CDT-1 co-entrant two-way driver, covering from about 200 Hz. to 20kHz - all through one waveguide. There are two Eminence Delta 10-B low frequency drivers arrayed so as to keep the vertical beamwidth at 50-degrees down to about 250 Hz. The processing for the box is through a Behringer DCX-2496, using parametric filtration exclusively, along with asymetric crossover slopes using combinations of Linqwitz Riley - and Bessell slopes.

The idea behind the ten drivers is to cover a horizontal arc of 150 degrees with sound that sounds more "interesting" than plain-old Mono. Arraying two separate loudspeakers, as you might in a listening room, creates a problem of either covering all seats with each of both devices and still having the nearest one being the one you're most likely to hear - taking precedence over the other speaker, which would be too far away - or creating a "flying junkyard" where the two devices are now, and not getting anywhere with imaging - or balance between Left and Right!

A couple of pictures showing the final product in its location:

Attachments

• IMG_2485.jpg
    IMG_2485.jpg
    787 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_2492.jpg
    IMG_2492.jpg
    806.8 KB · Views: 207
The grille cloth, in this case is a semi-stretchy material through which one can see light. It was obviously chosen because it pretty closely matched the paint colors in the room.
We tested it for H.F. transparency and couldn't measure - or hear - any deficit.
The two cabinets have been used together in the following way:
The front box is used for speech and solo singing,as well as "center track" material. The rear box is used to play "tracks" (recorded accompaniment) and some times with back-up instrumentation or singers.
We got lot more gain before feedback than we expected, so it gets used with mic's once in a while...

I have a Jaecklin-style disk with PZM's on each side.
I'm also working on another similar application for a new Parts Express product - more on that when it's finished - and if it works.

I'll have to get the folks at the church to try a couple of things and see what happens...

Cheers!

in the 70's psychic remote viewing was considered fringe nowdays the concept of remote "hearing" might be possible over the net a binaural head that could be steered so the end "listener"can vary time arrival vs angle cues for themselves would be the cat's meow especially if video was included and maybe the ability to change position!
where did i put my list of why we need personal droids?

Just to see if I can start a conversation:
Are we as DIYers so caught up with the idea of imaging as available only via two spaced sources?
The project discussed above was a step out in a direction that I thought might have possibilities in a home environment where available space and WAF would be large parts of the "what to make" equation.
There is at least one other single-point stereo speaker idea in a forum under the DIY "umbrella".
Let's get a little brainstorm going...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.