Large scale open baffle - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th May 2013, 08:12 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

There will be a question as to why we went with two rows, instead of using the backside of one as the "back wave"...
Measuring the single driver on each respective side we found the expected 180Hz to 15,000 Hz response over about a 130-degree arc from the front side, and about the same low point up to 4K on the backside, rolling off fairly quickly.
Galaxy, by the way, rates each driver at 100 watts RMS, full bandwidth. If you're keeping track, that means the dipole should handle 1 kilowatt from 180 to 15K.
Purists will, no doubt, point out the time domain discrepancy between the front and rear rows. We found that, at a distance of about 20", vertically, and, from 15 to 45' away from the device, we couldn't accurately tell much difference by row location - even when the rows were "traded", front for rear.
Old 19th May 2013, 08:31 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

One last image for now.
This is the view of the main loudspeaker over the pulpit in the sanctuary. The space between and behind it, and the projector, further behind it, is where the device will hang.
I am preparing to move from a house where I've been for almost seven years, back to the Northwestern U.S. - where I belong! There will be more images to come...

Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2436.jpg (656.0 KB, 146 views)
Old 20th May 2013, 02:40 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

I attempted to put up an image showing where the device will go.
Here is another:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2436.jpg (656.0 KB, 136 views)
Old 20th May 2013, 02:47 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

The prototype, with a pair of Eminence Gamma 15s for the low frequency content. There is reasonable response down to 50 Hz, without EQ to force it. We are using an analog electronic crossover with a sub-woofer option. We haven't tested for the optimum location of a pair of 18" boxes - but will likely put them at ground level. More on that, later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2434.jpg (722.8 KB, 139 views)
Old 20th May 2013, 02:50 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

For what it's worth, there will be pictures of the final production version of the device without, and with the grille in place. There will be a picture, or two of the final set up...
Old 20th May 2013, 03:40 AM   #36
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Cool.
I thought your open baffle would be *much* larger.
3191 x 2394 px , 990 Kb the first one; 2056 x 2741 px the second one, also 980 kB , both *barely* met the Forum maximum.

What I suggested is this: took the first one and "Resize/Resample" in freeware IrfanView (excellent and easy to use) down to 1024 x 768 px:155kB (1/6 the former file size) and a nice to look at screen image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg large-scale-open-baffle-resized.jpg (155.2 KB, 124 views)
Old 20th May 2013, 05:30 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

JM, I'm over my head with the move and packing. I'm sorry the pictures are as small as they are - I have a lot to take care of on the project and less than three weeks to finish it. I have a mid-level Canon camera and it will have to do - all you guys with Smart Phones can feel superior!

Cheers!
Old 26th May 2013, 03:32 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

An observation, now that the finished item is flying: The main loudspeaker (which I also designed to meet a seating plane geometry that would have forced us into an array (that would have had too many problems - cost, inter-box interference, and more), is now in a position to compare, sonically, to the dipole right behind it. I'm going to have to go back and fight with the DCX2496 and see if I can make the "box" sound more like the "open baffle"! Digital processing can only take parameters that are subject to adjustment and modify them to the point where the phase anomalies are mitigated. This should be interesting! Every body liked the original box. Most that have heard the open baffle, even standing in the null - or anywhere else seem to love its sound!

Go figure

Cheers
Old 26th May 2013, 03:38 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Sorry about the Parentheses within the parentheses...
I'll have to back to the rules of Journalism.
Old 27th May 2013, 03:50 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

ah pictures!
very interesting indeed and now that i've seen it i have to ask again what inspired you to try this.
i'm curious to know what a face on vertical array of your 10 drivers would behave like in this room.
what is that box that's hanging there again?i believe you stated what it was in a previous post i was wondering about the x-over config it has?
i certainly would love to hear this in person ..hum..i've never been to arizona ..hum
i guess i'll just have to stay tuned.

Hide this!Advertise here!