Mackie pro amps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Considering a pro amp for driving difficult/lowZ speakers. Anyone familiar with this brand? Are they good quality, clean sounding amps? Comparable to Crown? Suitable for serious, if not critical, listening?

I am looking in particular at the M800 series.

That is Loud Technologies Inc.

Loud may be involved with Peavey distribution in the UK, but Peavey is unrelated to Loud products.

There are brands I might prefer over Mackie (I was an authorized repair center for Mackie and the other Loud brands, and I was for QSC, Peavey, Yamaha, etc.) But their stuff is of good quality and will sound fine. Avoid any temptation to get "just enough" power. In my view, if an amp is straining to push out its maximum power, it will sound like it.

I was going to say I liked QSC amps as good performers and reliable, with the caution they are very complicated circuits and not always simple to service. But after a moment of thinking, most amps are that way these days. There are circuit approaches that make power more efficiently or get more out of an amp, but they do make it more complex.

I agree with Jon that Crown is a good amp.

In my own opinion, stay away from product lines specifically aimed at the "DJ" market. It usually means cheap limited gear. Like thin walled speaker boxes with cheap piezo tweeters. Amps marketed to DJs tend to be low end in my view...no pun intended.

Also to me portability, reliability are important. In pro audio, the gear is moved around a lot and we don't want it falling apart. Connectability. If this is going to sit in your TV room, then that is less an issue.

Crown makes crap too... XLS and Xti series, neither of those are any good at low impedances or home theater low frequencies either. Mackie made some decent stuff years ago before everything was sold to investment companies and outsourced to China, but never anything that would be considered touring grade like a Crown Macrotech or QSC PL.
If by low Z you mean 2ohms then you will be spending some real money to get an amp that is truely stable.. i.e. capable of delivering significant power for more than a few miliseconds.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.