diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   PA Systems (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pa-systems/)
-   -   Expert Advice needed (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pa-systems/228345-expert-advice-needed.html)

Tablespider 21st January 2013 07:58 PM

Expert Advice needed

Hi

A friend of mine has a brewery and last night I hosted a maggot racing event for him (really and a great success it was too!)

However the audio was dreadful! Imagine a large metal room, with some wooden tables and chairs, a bar and barrels a half wooden floor and half tiles.

I want to suggest an idea to him about what type of speakers to put in and where, not so much for music, but for announcements, who's won what etc, commentary (those maggots don't sell the tickets!) put clear enough so that people around the room can hear, without having it annoyingly loud.

The building is about 30m square (ish) and 10m high.

Any advice as to where I should start looking? What kind of speakers, amps, does the type of microphone matter?

I'm not a total novice, but I'm closer to that end of the spectrum than the other.

Thanks

Liam

Speedskater 21st January 2013 11:56 PM

Think about a large number of smaller speakers spread around the room. The closer you can get a speaker to each person the better.
Use a directional mic very near the commentator.
I don't know how to mic the maggots.

chris661 22nd January 2013 02:50 PM

Budget? Size constraints?

Tablespider 22nd January 2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris661 (Post 3337443)
Budget? Size constraints?

Indeed.. Size contraints, none really.. budget, he's willing to improve the system but times they're tough in the brewing world too :)

Tablespider 22nd January 2013 06:26 PM

Size - no real restraints, but times they're as hard in the brewing world as elsewhere...

JonSnell Electronic 22nd January 2013 11:29 PM

The problem is the room.
(Drapes and soft furnishings would help!)

Use a Sure SM58 (directional with good reflection rejection) and try and get the speakers at head height, so there is not too much power and intelligible sound.

Hope that helps. :drink:

Tom7227 23rd January 2013 12:27 AM

Sorry to be the one to ask, what is a "maggot Racing event" ?

chris661 23rd January 2013 01:27 AM

Having mulled this over a little, I think perhaps the best bet would be to focus mainly on the room treatment.

A simple voice/background music setup could be as simple as 4x Mission 760i speakers, and a suitable amplifier or two (make sure its good for 50w cleanly into 8ohm). Chuck in a small mixing desk with a mic and phono input and you're good to go.
The reason I suggest those speakers is that they're fairly cheap (2nd hand, see eBay, etc), sound good, and go fairly loud for their size. You'd be pushing it if you wanted music at a medium to loud level throughout the room, but like I say - for vocal announcements and background music, I think they'd fit the bill well.

Apply soft furnishings (curtains, etc) liberally around the room to try to kill off reflections, and you're good to go.

Chris

JonSnell Electronic 23rd January 2013 08:55 AM

Maggot Racing is where a number of live maggots are placed on a tabletop and they are numbered or have a blob of colour on their backs. A bet is placed on which one is thought to go the furthest quickest and win the race. A bit like uncontrolled sub miniature horse racing with no jockeys and luck if the maggot goes in the correct direction! :smash:

AndrewT 23rd January 2013 09:44 AM

For intelligible voice you must restrict the frequency range.
Cut both the bass and the treble equally.