Peavey Unity series mixer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th January 2013, 03:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Peavey Unity series mixer

I have a Peavey Unity series mixer 2002-12RQ that I need to know how to get into. The main outputs are blown, probably by the same mad 1/4 phone jack guitar amp artist that toasted the low level inputs of the other equipment (CS800s) I bought from this band.
Anyway, I've unscrewed all the screws around the top, can't find any on the edges of the bottom. Nothing. Looks like the ends should come off but I can't make them budge. Do I have to take all the knobs off and the cover plate? Horrors. There are a lot of little plastic plugs on the bottom, I can't pry those out either without enough force to probably break them.

Last edited by indianajo; 5th January 2013 at 03:53 PM.
Old 5th January 2013, 06:44 PM   #2
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, that is why thay call it Unity, I think. After all the cursing and praying getting it apart, tou will be one with God.

End moldings should come off with screws. It may be stuck, so tapping it outwards with a small mallet or a screwdriver handle might free them. No hidden screws. Then seems to me there is a plastic molding strip across the rear, it fills the space between top and bottom metal sheets. They should slide out one end or the other. I often have to tap them out as well, tight fit.

The plastic plugs on the bottom? Those are the bases of those common plastic spring-brab pc board mounting posts, they do not come out at this point.

Yes indeedy, you have to pull everything off the control panel and then the whole top metal panel comes off. The XLRs tend to be snug in their little plastic collars, so to get the panel up after all the hardware is off, I usually wind up pressing down on each XLR with my thumb as I pull upwards on the metal panel. Do yourself a favor, make a color chart for the knobs.

You should then find the circuit boards in large sections, suspended on a matrix of those plastic posts. I pick a board, then start near a corner, popping those posts as I go, while pulling upwards on the board. Work my way across the board from that corner until all of them are freed. SOme ribbons connect board to board as I recall.
Old 5th January 2013, 08:01 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the entertainment and the instructions. Have rubber hammer, will remove parts.
For anyone that follows, knob colors are as follows:
White: tape, headphone, return level, master gain, channel gain
Blue: Return to monitors, Ch monitor, ch efx
Red: Ch High, ch mid, ch low
Black:Ch pan.

Last edited by indianajo; 5th January 2013 at 08:05 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!