Mixer desk inverting output - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd January 2013, 11:27 PM   #11
akis is offline akis  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

We are looking at two traces simultaneously, they are 180 degrees off. We inject the signal in so we track it there, and once again at the main out. Being that the mixer has a ton of inputs and outputs I will do the test again just to verify. Out original test was to determine the levels at the output, not to test for phase inversion, that was an accidental observation.
Old 3rd January 2013, 11:30 PM   #12
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Dear akis, you still don't answer the Million Dollar question, what kind of signal are you injecting?
Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 12:45 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

akis
what pin of the XLR output are you observing pin 2 or pin 3?
being that the eurodesk should have a balanced output the inversion your observing could simply be your connection point
also if the input is single ended i.e. your signal generator which is unbalanced what pins are you connecting to pin 1 ground, pin 2 positive, pin 3 negative(180 deg )

turk

Last edited by turk 182; 4th January 2013 at 01:00 AM. Reason: inclusion
Old 4th January 2013, 09:54 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
All good quality mixing desks, have the option via a push button, to invert the phase on independent inputs. This is essential when sending out of phase fold-back to the monitor system on stage.
If you can imagine, miking up the bass players amplifier. If the microphone is out of phase with the front of house speakers, there will be "Holes" in the bass sound as one moves around the venue due to phasing issues. So to overcome this problem, making the front of house coincide with the bass amp will help. Also as a matter of science, only use one position for the bass speaker or weird phase shifts will occur!
Behringer do not mix different input/output phasing with the pre-amplifiers. They as everyone else, use a standard system for all inputs/outputs and they are all the same in phase unless there is a phase change switch.
I hope that clarifies the issue.
Old 5th January 2013, 09:22 AM   #15
akis is offline akis  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

There are no switches on the desk. We tracked the input signal on the 3/4" jack on the input and again on a 3/4" jack on the main output. Both jacks are 3/4" mono, unbalanced. No possibility to get it wrong. When my son wakes up I will run more tests because this is weird.
Old 5th January 2013, 10:47 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

akis
xlr or mic connectors are 'bout 3/4" and are indeed mono but balanced.
the main outputs L/R are also 3/4" xlr connectors the main mix out is also available on 1/4" trs connectors in the same area as the group outs as well as your aux's and inserts patch points.
as i asked in a previous post how are you connecting your unbalanced signal genny to this input?
Old 5th January 2013, 10:51 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Hi Turk do you mean TRS jacks? They are standard 1/4 inch jacks and are Tip +ve Ring -ve Sleeve ground. We used to know them as Stereo Jacks.
Old 5th January 2013, 10:53 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I can confirm, there are no input phase switches on this model.
Old 5th January 2013, 11:14 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

yes indeed
i try to refer to them as TRS when they are used as mono balanced in or out jacks.
but let's not forget that a Tip/Ring/Sleeve or 1/4" stereo plug used as an insert would be Tip-send Ring-return and Sleeve-common ground as well as you mentioned good old L/R stereo!

long live the jovian cyber plug!
Old 5th January 2013, 11:21 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Absolutely!

Hide this!Advertise here!