Where to put the weakest link?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I have a crossover that only has XLR ins and outs, but I have an equalizer that only has 1/4 TS in/out. Wherever I put this eq it's going to go unbalanced. I don't have a problem coming up with a T/S to xlr patch cable, but I am concerned that it may have an impedance problem. The amp spec has an input of 10K unbalanced and 20K balanced, so I don't think the amp is going to complain.

Someone I know is selling a crossover that has balanced TRS in and out and again I don't have a problem coming up with a patch cable, but on the back of the crossover it says "Use 2-conductor shielded cable only." I've always thought of "2 conductor" as being a simple guitar cable, but I suppose in this instance it means "2 conductors and a screen" correct?

Thanks
Phil

A wire, a guitar cord has two conductors, but in signal parlance, it is a single conductor shielded. Two conductor shielded is common old microphone cable.

You now have a crossover with only balanced I/O. You are considering getting a different crossover that also has balancedi?o. Other than different connectors, both units have balanced ins and outs. SO why get the new crossover?

SO I see a mixer feeding the EQ, then to the crossover and on to the power amps. Unless you are running the crossover outs down a snake to remote power amps, all your connections will be short. So the advantages of balanced cables will not be particularly large.

I suggest you get appropriate cables, just hook it up, and see how it performs. Most of this sort of stuff, and especially in a small PA system, is remarkably tolerant of impedances.

A
You now have a crossover with only balanced I/O. You are considering getting a different crossover that also has balancedi?o. Other than different connectors, both units have balanced ins and outs. SO why get the new crossover?

No, not another crossover. it was the equalizer I was worried about, but I had someone pull it out and check the back and it has 1/4 jacks that say "bal/unbal, so I will just run a TRS-to-xlr patch cable from the EQ to the crossover

Thanks
I did consider putting it in the mixer inserts BTW. It would have worked too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.