Using old organ speaker for PA?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I’ve recently acquired a 10” organ speaker from a unknown source. I would like to build a PA system for outdoor use. My old system consisted of 2x5 inch drivers, 60W max. What rating would this speaker be, and how could I decrease it from 15 ohms to a more usable 4 or 8 ohms?
I’m thinking quiet outside music, and medium volume indoors. I don’t know the rating of this speaker, but it sounded very loud in its original box connected to a cheap AV amplifier.

A 16 ohm speaker may not be a problem - it depends on what sized amplifier you have to drive it with. A 1 kw stereo amp will produce approx 500 w into 4 ohms 300 w into 8 ohms and 150+ watts into 16 ohms per channel.
Alternatively if you only have low power amplifiers you could use 2 channels in bridge mode.
One of my old setups used 2 x 16 ohm speakers in parallel to make an 8 ohm load - used on a bridged amp this enabled the amplifier to produce its full rated 4 ohm per channel power.

Can we get a picture of the speaker? maybe that would give us a clue.

Upload it to imgur.com and then copy the link that they give you to here.

If in doubt consider it to be 30 watts RMS max, typically higher ohmage speakers are on the lower end range of power ratings.

As to your question about lowering the ohmage of the speaker, find another 16 ohm speaker and wire it in parallel to the first one.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.