Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th November 2012, 11:35 AM   #21
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator

try a search on wedgehorn
Old 12th November 2012, 06:22 AM   #22
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
try a search on wedgehorn
or econowave
Old 9th December 2012, 11:49 PM   #23
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

For what you want to do I'd suggest you build light portable powered boxes, and add-on as many as you want, depending on venue size.
The basic one would be a 12V powered bridged chip amp.
Either the 2 x TDA2003 yiu suggested above, or a TDA2005 which is the same, but packed on a single chip, or one of the more modern TDAxxxx (do a search) which replace them.
A simple light 10mm plywood box might carry *two* 8" 4 ohms speakers, each driven by its own bridged chip amp and both powered by the same internal 12V 7AH gel cell.
Quite carryable, cheap, and *loud*.
For highs add 1 or 2 LeSon TLCsomething tweeters, *very* loud because they have internal voltage booster transformers.
Somewhat piercing sound, but in your particular situation, that's an asset, makes it reach longer.
For speaker(s) I suggest Guitar speakers, much louder and more articulate than regular Hi Fi types. The Jensen MOD 8-20 in 4 ohms is very good and costs around U$23, how's that?
To show that I do what I preach, here's one example of my "Callejero" ("Street Guy") amps, in this case with an 8" 4 ohms driven by bridged TDA2005 and a LeSon Tweeter driven by a TDA2003 , custom made for a Street Tango Musician.

LOUD and CLEAN

Click the image to open in full size.

Back view.
The lonely unmarked knob between channels is a separate volume/attenuator for the LeSon driving amp, because 10W of "just highs" is usually TOO MUCH ... although in a large, boomy Basketball court or in a noisy Subway station, it sure helps.

Click the image to open in full size.

Mind you, I'm suggesting you build double this in a somewhat wider box

PS: Et oui, mÍme moi, je suis aussi Francophone, mais laissez-nous continuer en Anglais pour nos bons amis

Hide this!Advertise here!