CrossOver - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th November 2012, 06:06 PM   #11
EddieL is offline EddieL  St Lucia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wg_ski View Post
What size is the voice coil of the HF driver, and what is the diaphragm material? Those will determine the lowest possible crossover frequency and how much power to feed the horn with.
Hey Wg, It says it's a 2" aluminum voice coil.So what do you think this will handle?
Old 6th November 2012, 06:10 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

probably not much more then 60 to 100 watts so refining our guesstimates the 15's could be 250 rms each and that's not knowing what the realitive efficency of these drivers (1 watt/ 1 meter spl rating) another clue would be looking at the wire size in the x-overs coils in the box that gauge would help determine what was intended. while your poking around see if you can confirm if there wired series or parallel i think it will turn out parallel and count how many coils and caps on the x-over that tell us just how much separation between bands we've got 6 db/octave 12 etc values on the caps too oh and double check to see if there isn't a number stamped on the frame maybe on one of the ribs supporting the magnet the other place might be a small label on the magnet that you might not see if your looking through the opening in the back panel an inspection mirror can come in handy
Old 6th November 2012, 06:31 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Homework.... It will be a while before I reply,have to get the boxes.There are in storage where I play. Will do as you suggested and inbox you with my findings,will also try to get pics of the x-over in there.
oh,I forgot to mention,the specs says 8 ohms so may be they are wired in series.

Last edited by EddieL; 6th November 2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 6th November 2012, 06:37 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

ok on a different note
hows the weather there the outside temp here is 2 deg C above freezing
Old 6th November 2012, 06:38 PM   #15
wg_ski is offline wg_ski  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieL View Post
Hey Wg, It says it's a 2" aluminum voice coil.So what do you think this will handle?
2" aluminum VC can handle about 40 watts above 1.5 KHz. A 100W amp is appropriate. 200W or more is ok if you use fast RMS limiting at 20-40 watts. If you're not using DSP consider using one of those tungsten filament limiters made for protecting horns. Or a 12V turn signal lamp -one of the threads around here had recommendations for which type #.
Old 6th November 2012, 06:39 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk 182 View Post
ok on a different note
hows the weather there the outside temp here is 2 deg C above freezing
It's about 31 c here. Too hot for me. Let me guess. Calgary?
Old 6th November 2012, 06:41 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
2" aluminum VC can handle about 40 watts above 1.5 KHz. A 100W amp is appropriate. 200W or more is ok if you use fast RMS limiting at 20-40 watts. If you're not using DSP consider using one of those tungsten filament limiters made for protecting horns. Or a 12V turn signal lamp -one of the threads around here had recommendations for which type #.
Hmmmm,interesting. Will check it out and give it a shot.
Old 6th November 2012, 06:45 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

no Sault Ste Marie
i'm thinking of going swimming in Lake Superior later to warm up!
Old 6th November 2012, 06:50 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Where in Canada is that?
Old 6th November 2012, 06:51 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Wg,do you know the correct name for that tungsten limiter thing you mentioned?

Hide this!Advertise here!