p.a system protective coatings

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know jbls cabinet liner are made from duraflex. But i was wondering if there are any other liners or protective coatings that are recommend. Ive also heard of alot of peope are using truck bed liners as well. Im curious if using a truck bed liner will affect the sound or acoustic priorities of a cabinet.
Also are there any protective coatings that are easily paintable or come in multiple colors

Fiberglass is commonly used on boats, which typically spend a lot of time outdoors exposed to sunlight and water. I once coated a couple of cabinets using fiberglass resin with black pigment added. It made a very tough glossy finish. The resin was some standard stuff a local marine supplier carried. You could probably add strips of fiberglass cloth to reinforce edges and corners.

I use Wurth SKS Stonegaurd black.My dad owns a foreign car bodyshop. He has been spraying speaker cabinets in the SKS for 3 large sound companies in the Atlanta area for almost 20 years now.I think it works good and so do the pros.It hardens like bed liner but stays soft enough it doesn't chip the same.Super easy to touch up also.

If you do decide to fiberglass, you can get the epoxy in bulk from boating supply depots chepaer than most places. I used to buy it in 8-gallon sets, 4 1-gallon cans to a box, one box of resin and 1 box of hardner. Works great as a hard paint without the glass matting too; if you wanted you could just probably just reinforce the edges and corners.

I used to use Klenk's tub and tile epoxy for small jobs, but I think they may have gone out of business. The convenience was the small cans of thinner (mostly toluene) and small cans of paint at the local store. It was very self-levelling and looked great if sprayed (but if it hardens in your gun you'd might as well throw it out, so always spray alcohol thru the gun as soon as you stop spraying epoxy).

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I've sprayed fiberglass resin through a cheap paint gun and it looks good and is very durable, you can also mix it with paint (guitar makers do that) for a more durable paint.

Now that I am older every thing I build gets latex black paint and once a year I'll touch it up. Its PA gear, everyone I mix for just wants great sound, they could care less about the looks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.