p.a system protective coatings - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th October 2012, 01:12 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default p.a system protective coatings

I know jbls cabinet liner are made from duraflex. But i was wondering if there are any other liners or protective coatings that are recommend. Ive also heard of alot of peope are using truck bed liners as well. Im curious if using a truck bed liner will affect the sound or acoustic priorities of a cabinet.
Also are there any protective coatings that are easily paintable or come in multiple colors
Old 27th October 2012, 01:49 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

you could use fiberglass coating on your cabinets, it makes the cabinets more sturdy, waterproof, lesser vibration
Old 27th October 2012, 02:10 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Idk if fiberglass would stand up to constant outdoor use. And moving
Old 27th October 2012, 02:20 AM   #4
imix500 is offline imix500  United States
diyAudio Member

Polane is popular. Just make sure you have adequate ventilation.
Old 28th October 2012, 05:54 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

The good old standby is blackboard paint.
rcw
Old 17th November 2012, 06:18 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Speaker Cabinet Coatings | Texture Coating for Speakers | Road Cases Protective Coating
Old 20th November 2012, 12:06 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Don or someone mentioned acrytech duratex when I asked the same questions.

The stuff is pretty good. Not as strong as epoxy, obviously. But I got the roller grade black and used it inside the cabinets & out. Brushed it on. Relatively pleased. Easy clean-up and the smell won't kill you.
Speaker Cabinet Coatings | Texture Coating for Speakers | Road Cases Protective Coating
Old 25th November 2012, 12:01 AM   #8
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Fiberglass is commonly used on boats, which typically spend a lot of time outdoors exposed to sunlight and water. I once coated a couple of cabinets using fiberglass resin with black pigment added. It made a very tough glossy finish. The resin was some standard stuff a local marine supplier carried. You could probably add strips of fiberglass cloth to reinforce edges and corners.
Old 1st February 2013, 11:23 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I use Wurth SKS Stonegaurd black.My dad owns a foreign car bodyshop. He has been spraying speaker cabinets in the SKS for 3 large sound companies in the Atlanta area for almost 20 years now.I think it works good and so do the pros.It hardens like bed liner but stays soft enough it doesn't chip the same.Super easy to touch up also.
Old 5th February 2013, 04:07 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I've had several cabinets done with Line-X, looks great and quite tough - no corner protection needed.

Hide this!Advertise here!