Pro Audio Plate Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A friend of mine wants to buy a TH18 from me, but only if it is powered, not passive, so I am on the lookout for a plate amp. I found a few that fit the bill (minidsp has a pretty good one) but all the good one's I have seen have been over $1000. It absolutely needs a high pass to realize the subs full potential.

I need an amplifier that has all of the follow:
-XLR inputs
-700-1000 watts
-high pass programmable to 35ish Hz
-low pass programmable to 80ish Hz
-is a plate amp
-small enough that it won't significantly mess with the horn path
-isn't freakishly expensive (under $600 if possible)

Any suggestions?

Thanks

If it were up to me I would do just that

...but that's a deal breaker for my DJ friend.

I am a proponent of passive PA speakers with centrally located amplifiers, assuming the distance between them isn't ridiculously large that is. This means that rather than running power cords and signal cords to each speaker you can run just one signal speakon cable and be done with it. I've set up both types of systems and I definitely prefer not having 400,000 unnecessary cables...

You could try to locate a QSC replacement plate amp for their HPR series. I think the plate amp for the 15" and 18" bass units had a rubber gasket to go around the lip, was recessed about 4-5", had about 700w of power, and was hi passed around 40 Hz and low passed around 100 Hz. They went for about $350 apiece when they could be ordered from the parts department.

(edited) Try this site. http://yhst-93643794936312.stores.yahoo.net/moandas1.html

Last edited:
That's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for!

Any idea which one has those specs? Or where I could fond more info on each amp? Therea quite a few choices and not a lot of info...

It seems like if companies like that one would not only sell them as replacement parts but also as stand alone products they could make bank off of the DIY crowd. Cheap powerfully plate amps with filters would practically have to be a hit.

That's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for!

Any idea which one has those specs? Or where I could fond more info on each amp? Therea quite a few choices and not a lot of info...

It seems like if companies like that one would not only sell them as replacement parts but also as stand alone products they could make bank off of the DIY crowd. Cheap powerfully plate amps with filters would practically have to be a hit.
what about this one
Bash 500W Digital Subwoofer Amplifier 300-752

XLR inputs?
High Pass?

I have looked at all those, none of them meet my requirements so I posted this thread.

Hypex make good looking one:
DS8.0

I also saw those, I seem to recall discounting them because they are very expensive (over $1000?) and they don't have an adjustable high pass filter. That one says fixed at 12Hz, needs to be 35Hz to 40Hz with the TH18

P.S. I contacted QSC to get some more specs on their amps. They seem strangely reluctant to take my money but I am working on them. I suggested to them that maybe marketing and selling products they already have to the DIY crowd may not be all THAT bad of an idea.

Last edited:
maybe you can rip off the case of an iNuke DSP amp
and mount it inside like a plate amp or something
i have never seen one of those naked, maybe you need to do some soldering
for inputs and outputs but would be nice to if behringer to say some
can make a plate versions of their inukes i bet will be cheaper as the rack case adds to the price

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.