Still need assistance designing a midbass cab - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2013, 09:19 AM   #81
diyAudio Member

Sorry i presumed u knew what bfm stood for. Bill Fitzmaurice he has a whole forum devoted to his stuff. It gets mixed reviews tho. So im not set on anything at this point. And im back to phone internet again after my ISP decided to be jerks. I wan to have a play on horn resp soon and see how certain cabs sim vs others.
Old 14th January 2013, 09:22 AM   #82
diyAudio Member

bfm=bill fitzmaurice

p.s.: have you tried googling ot12

Last edited by turk 182; 14th January 2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 14th January 2013, 09:25 AM   #83
diyAudio Member

Yep
Old 14th January 2013, 03:00 PM   #84
diyAudio Member

:s pin:

asian pop makes me dizzy!
Old 14th January 2013, 03:33 PM   #85
diyAudio Member

Klampy.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by klampykixx View Post
second problem, is (IMO) still not quite enough "slap" to the sound. it has kick, and its solid, but i feel its a tad soft from 200-500hz area. i feel thats due to a single 12inch DR on either side trying to keep up with a pair of SS15.
Quote:
Originally Posted by klampykixx View Post
but, im thinking that designing a tapped horn for midbass frequencies, ie:120-500hz will net me a bigger peak in that bandwidth than even a front loaded horn will give. am i correct in this thought train? or is the front loaded the way to go?
So.....here is where you have to decide if you want tight impactful kick drum / bass sound, or if you just want loud flabby sound?

What is the key to tight sound? Well, since I'm extremely stubborn and have no problem repeating myself, again, the answer to this is *time alignment*. I cannot stress this enough - anybody who is running a large multi-way PA system with horns (and who knows what they are doing), has a processor that is capable of time correction. This is used to time align the outputs of your various speaker, which results in something approaching correct *impulse response*.

What is a Kick Drum sound? Its a sound *impulse*, a bunch of sound frequencies occuring at the same time which result in you hearing a kick drum. If the 80hz part (coming out of your ss15's) of the kick sound arrives 5ms behind the 200hz part (from your mains) of the kick sound..........well, it's going to have much less impact and overall sound like wooly crap.

Here is additional discussion on time correction, group delay, impulse response etc:

lilmike's Shiva X2 Tapped Horn (note the graph scales)
TH-18 Flat to 35hz! (Xoc1's design)
http://forum.speakerplans.com/show-o...1_page361.html
FOH online | A Realistic Approach to Subwoofer Time Alignment
Live Sound International | Tech Talk: How to correctly get loudspeaker drivers in sync

Click the image to open in full size.

You NEED one of these, you NEED to delay your tops to match the delay in your subs:

Behringer: ULTRA-DRIVE PRO DCX2496

Once you do this, you can start to seriously consider if you need more output from your mains in the mid-bass.

I would also be concerned with the group delay peak around 150hz in the SS15, that can't be playing nice......

Last edited by turbodawg; 14th January 2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 14th January 2013, 04:05 PM   #86
diyAudio Member

PLEASE READ THIS THREAD:

Just how crucial is time alignment? - Speakerplans.com Forums - Page 1
Old 14th January 2013, 11:43 PM   #87
diyAudio Member

i have a MiniDSP on its way. which i believe has delay settings within. beyond this, even on their own, the deltas just dont have the punch when talking about open air use. hence my desire for more output. the cabs theyre in atm, are reflex tuned to 80hz. i still want to horn load them one way or another, but i completely understand the time alignment so will be sure to try this first before rebuilding cabs.

current cabs need to be modified to fit the D220ti inside so this is happening first.
Old 16th January 2013, 12:51 PM   #88
Xoc1 is offline Xoc1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Klampy
Good to see that you are upgrading your HF drivers and are moving to a digital crossover.
Doubling up on your Delta 12 mids in a QB5 cab using the digital crossover to set the EQ would get you a lot closer to your ideal with minimal expense.
By the way what is your front end that you use with your PA?
Looking at your pic in post 67 do I see a laptop on a folding table?
Have you got a mixer as well hidden in behind there.
Simple tweeks to the front end of your system could make a significant difference - You are building a fairly awesome PA system. Crap in crap out!
Want to try an experiment? Just put the source components on a better support! (One that does not vibrate)
Old 16th January 2013, 01:05 PM   #89
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the kind words Xoc. front end is my acer laptop witha denon DNMC6000 digital mixer.
As far as sound output goes its all done by asio drivers. Im not sure how much adjustment i hace on the output side. Ill try what u said regarding the table.

Turbodawg. I read the thread u linked. Enough said. Cant wait to get my dsp.
Old 17th January 2013, 02:52 AM   #90
diyAudio Member

Is the general consensus saying yes to having a wadding or sound absorbtion inside a mid cab? Mine are empty and apart so was thinking should i be putting anything inside before rebuilding them?

Hide this!Advertise here!