Still need assistance designing a midbass cab - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th October 2012, 02:53 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Tops wont handle much more power as they are. They go loud but lack the real slap im looking for. Basically what im wanting to know before i commit to any horn design is wether the horn will emphasise the whole range of response or only boost what HR simulates.

If i was to add a high frequency hp filter to the delta i think it would start to sound a bit harsh up in the top end so im thinking the driver is as loud as it can get and stay clean. Im really just looking for a way to make it seem louder than what it is as a direct radiator in a reflex cab.
Old 4th October 2012, 04:27 PM   #12
wg_ski is online now wg_ski  United States
diyAudio Member

It's going to be hard to get 2 direct radiating 12's to fully keep up with 4 horn subs. Two Delta Pro 12's and a 2" CD per side (with plenty of power) does a reasonable job. A horn on the mid that's as short as the one you propose won't offer any boost in the 100-200 Hz range. To get boost down there it needs a 3 foot path length, and the resulting box is about half to 2/3 of an SS15.

The output of the tops may be sufficient if your mix is intentionally bass heavy. If the setup is just lacking "slap" or "punch", it is probably just a time alignment issue and it just takes tweaking to get it right. Playing pre-recorded dance music with the bass turned up you just don't need as much output from the tops as you do subs.
Old 4th October 2012, 09:19 PM   #13
Xoc1 is offline Xoc1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi klampykixx You will not get the full performance of your mid tops using a passive filter.
You need to filter before the mid top amplifier with an active crossover.
I have looked closely at the photo of your set up on the SS15 thread and am stiil not sure how you are setting the Low pass filter for your SS15 subs
Old 5th October 2012, 12:01 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

this is my amp kit. this is how it was set up for the gig that the picture at post #3

Click the image to open in full size.

EQ has a sub out, thats what the EP4000 is connected to.

i need to get myself an active XO, i am well aware of this, so perhaps what you are saying is that i might be able to get just a little bit more sound out of the tops using an active XO?

could then get a little more bass out of the subs as i have the eq set all at 0 for everything regarded as bass as you would see in the picture.
Old 5th October 2012, 12:07 AM   #15
col is offline col  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Klampy,

System looks great! I just spotted something though:

>"normally i have the 35hz EQ slider minimised to -12db, but tonight i lifted it to 0 and must say, it sounded so much better"

Was you using that as a low cut? Or do you have a high pass 35hz filter? Otherwise, your going to start blowing drivers.

Also, there is a great mid-cab horn plan in the Bass my Soldier thread.

cheers,
col.
Old 5th October 2012, 09:46 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Low cut is a seperate adjustable dial to the left side of the eq. I have hi cut and low cut and gain. Low cut is usually set between 35-45hz. And normally have the three lowest eq sliders all the way down for max cutoff.

On a different note, how would a lascala clone perform fitted with my delta compared to the current reflex cabs? And then also compared to the horn i simmed on HR?
Old 5th October 2012, 02:57 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

as far as setup goes, the tops take the full range of sound that the EQ spits out.

the top cabs have a 100uf cap inline on the input side which filters out the lowest frequencies, but still makes quite a bit of bass. (i think maybe i could focus on making that cutoff steeper??)

the subs are amped off the subout on the EQ. so take everything below the adjustable cutoff on the back of the EQ.

so, basically for example, if i cut everything lower than 100hz on the EQ, it takes it from both the subs and the tops, which is why i dont boost the EQ in that range, i just turn the sub amp up a bit higher on its gain.

the more im thinking about this the more im leaning towards getting an active XO first. running the high freq output to the EQ and then my EPQ1200. and the sub out to my EP4000.

am i going the right direction on this? i figure i can do a proper HPF on the tops, and a proper LPF on the subs this way. its starting to sink in i think....
Old 5th October 2012, 03:12 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klampykixx View Post

the subs are amped off the subout on the EQ. so take everything below the adjustable cutoff on the back of the EQ.

so, basically for example, if i cut everything lower than 100hz on the EQ, it takes it from both the subs and the tops, which is why i dont boost the EQ in that range, i just turn the sub amp up a bit higher on its gain.

the more im thinking about this the more im leaning towards getting an active XO first. running the high freq output to the EQ and then my EPQ1200. and the sub out to my EP4000.

am i going the right direction on this? i figure i can do a proper HPF on the tops, and a proper LPF on the subs this way. its starting to sink in i think....
That's the way I'd do it.

You could put the eq before the crossover, giving you control over eq in the low frequencies as well (useful for tuning into rooms etc).

Chris
Old 5th October 2012, 03:22 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Well at this point in time i can get an active xo cheaper than i can get wood to make new cabs so ill see about getting an active xo and if still not loud enough on the tops ill get a hold of another pair of deltas and do a dual 12 cab for each side.

So with that in mind would people build more direct radiating style cabs, or horns like the MT112 or OT12, or klipsch lascala copies?
Old 6th October 2012, 01:22 AM   #20
col is offline col  Australia
diyAudio Member

definitely get a active crossover! preferably digital. Can you afford a Behringer DCX2946? This will cover all your basses, it's been the standard fare meat and 2 veg for PA for a while. The other cheap but excellent option is a MiniDSP.

Here is one I made up:

MiniDSP Balanced

Hide this!Advertise here!