small cab: huge old-school Jazz-pizz punchbass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
gentlemen,

I would like to share your advices or ideas regarding the following:

For my UEB (electric upright bass) I planned to build an affordable mini-PA.
A separate bass/midcabinet and mid-high enclosure.
This thread is now on the basscabinet toppic.

The principles are:

- As small and powerful as possible.
- Suitable for pubs, small clubs and exercises at home with friends (short throw ?).
- Possibilities of 'voicing' the sound.
- Definitely not a necessary a linear tuned system; but rather a nice 'woody and warm' soundsystem. I consider the sound characteristics (coloration) rather as an extension of the instrument itself.
- The low E string = 41HZ should be well audible.
- The low-mid; a big pressure must be build to get that famous old-school Jazz-pizz punch.
- No wolf tones (resonances) should occur: which leads to a 'booming' sound.
- This basscabinet should also reproduce the bass-mid-frequencies with direct radiation and should continue up to + / - 2.5 kHz. Due to the possible use of mid-high horn or -speaker
- The cabinet-width should be 435mm (external dimensions) because it should fit in a 19 " mobile-rack.
-The woofer I like to use is the: Beyma-sm110/n

Last year I've experimented a lot with several principles:
Bass-reflex, Ri-pole, Tl, aperiodic membrane and loaded horn; whether or not in a sub configuration.
I have achieved the best results with a modified karlson_TL_hoorn
( Http://gainclone.com/Karlson/index.php?topic=1115.0 ).
Since this cabinet is too big for my purpose (approximately 150liter) i decided to create this new one.

Any advices or suggestions?

rcw666;
Thanks for the reply.

Do You mean with the '40 liters design': Posts After Karlsonettes finished! Many pictures...
Here the frontchamber is about: 2.25 (feet ^ 3) = 63.7 litres and the total: 180 litres.
Is it possible to scale-down this design without consequences for the sound it produces, because there is a kind of horn incorporated?
Or do you consider this design as a bassreflex-only cabinet with a tuned port?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.