Am I loosing my mind - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th September 2012, 04:25 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to shon35us Send a message via MSN to shon35us Send a message via Yahoo to shon35us
Default Am I loosing my mind

Hi, group. I'm having a blonde moment, I'm looking to build a full range speaker with 2 15" speakers, similar to GSM-3250, or Peavey PV 215 Dual 15" 2-Way Speaker Cabinet. If put power amp for 15" woofer separately I with get more out put correct.

amp 1 amp 2 amp 3
15" @ 200w + 15" @ 200w + 100w tweeter = 500w?
Old 25th September 2012, 05:04 PM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Commercially speaking they would be additive, technically speaking not exactly. Certainly you can claim 400W power to the woofers and 100W to the tweeter.

There's no particular reason IMO to use a separate amplifier for each woofer - I'd probably go with a 400 - 500W amp designed to drive the parallel impedance of your woofers, and I would probably choose 8 ohm woofers for this reason.

You will need to make sure that the tweeter can keep up with the woofers and with a 100W amplifier should be at least 6dB more efficient (assuming 400W woofer amp) than the combined efficiency of your woofers. Make sure that it can handle the required power around the cross-over point as it is likely to be working pretty hard at the low end of its response range.

Others will probably have a lot more insightful comments to add, mine are simplistic and probably just part of the story..
Old 25th September 2012, 05:40 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to shon35us Send a message via MSN to shon35us Send a message via Yahoo to shon35us
Thank you!

I thought this was the case, FYI the rms value for the tweeter in question 175w, 250 watt max, but I don't see a need to drive that much high frequency output.
Old 25th September 2012, 06:09 PM   #4
AuroraB is online now AuroraB  Norway
diyAudio Member

The wattage of your amp/speakers are of less concern than the sensitivity of the speakers...
Old 25th September 2012, 08:14 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

A question about speakers:
I would like to know if I can use a 60W house speaker with my car radio in my home.
No external amplifier. Just the one speaker. I presently am running a car speaker rated at 91dB, but it seems to run rather hot.
Thanks.

Hide this!Advertise here!