DIY PA speaker build - need advice please - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th October 2012, 02:58 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

As much as I like DIY it is difficult to compete with the manufactures, speakers are cheap, components are expensive.

What is the budget?

How much speaker do you want to haul around?

What is the model of amp? 500 pyramid watts are 100 QSC watts.
Old 20th October 2012, 03:37 PM   #12
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

DIY simply cannot compete with properly chosen for purpose used
gear, and a lot of the time can't compete with new gear either.

rgds, sreten.
Old 22nd October 2012, 07:41 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to shon35us Send a message via MSN to shon35us Send a message via Yahoo to shon35us
A round $500 TO $800
Old 22nd October 2012, 07:42 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to shon35us Send a message via MSN to shon35us Send a message via Yahoo to shon35us
There really good deals on craigslist, I'm just worried about buying used off the street vs a good
Old 22nd October 2012, 08:37 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I f you want to do it properly you figure out how many acoustic Watts you need in the venues you are playing in, typically this is between 25 and 50.

There are many ways of doing this, but if you want to move it around and hope to at least break even with it, the rule is, the most bass from the least space, and low bass takes up space and costs money.

If you look at used gear as a package, a big amplifier and small speakers are a no no, this usually means that somebody has bought the power hype and put far too much power into inadequate speakers.

Not only does this cost in re-coning and replacing drivers but it also is a definite p.i.a. for the punters if at the apex of their night the p.a. craps itself, this is quite often why its on sale.
What to diy and what not to is the trick.
rcw.
Old 23rd October 2012, 01:45 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shon35us View Post
A round $500 TO $800
After building a few sets of PA tops over the years and many subwoofers I would recommend that you just buy a set of powered tops, RCF art312's can be found on the bay for just over $800 a pair. Having processing/amps pre engineered for you will sound better and require less fine tuning. You could build some bass bins relatively cheaply but decent tops and crossover will eat much of your budget. Look at the used market also, I see Peavey SP2/ Yamaha clubs/ EV/ etc. for around $300-$400.
Old 23rd October 2012, 02:08 AM   #17
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shon35us View Post
A round $500 TO $800
A whole lot depends on what you really need to get by.

At that price point yr kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place. IF you know what ur doing then you could buy used gear and make it do a better job than the equivalent store bought gear...

the goal of 20 to 50 acoustic watts imo is not realistic anywhere near this price point. Afaik that's major overkill, probably more like what one would see in a hockey rink size venue, if my seat-of-the-pants recollection of acoustic power is correct.

My 2.5 cents worth of free advice...

_-_-bear

Hide this!Advertise here!