Help with school PA system - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th September 2012, 11:04 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

You have made some good points in your posts.

I will add some information. The EV SX 100's and 300's have a very heavy surround that is waterproofed. The main difference that I have seen between a standard 300 for instance is the perforated grill in the outside version is made of stainless steel where as the standard 300 is just a painted perforated steel grill. Wasps are not going to get into the 300 or the 100. Have used these in college football stadiums for the concourse area and have not seen any problems except that you have to put a couple of screws into the side of the mounting bracket and into the side of the speaker so that you can maintain the correct angle. Now, this particular college installation I was talking had used these 300's for over 15 years without any high frequency problems and toward the end of theit reign the dust caps finally started to come off the woofers. They still work however.

I personally favor using an actual EQ with feedback filters over twisting a dial on a makeshift little cheap mixer. No offense meant here its just that when the equipment is setup correctly and you have the correct stuff it can be made user friendly for the average high school kid that is probably going to try to run the system.

I agree in keep the local electrician out of the mix after he has wired in the outlets for power and possibly installed some conduit for some outside mic lines to run is as well as possibly a line level feed from the bottom of the bleachers.

Another point...use quality commercial amplification instead of the typical DJ grade equipment. The usage of a Altec 9440 or EV2600 is an excellent choice as both are bulletproof. We used Altec and EV amplifiers for years before switching to the better grade of QSC.

You need a good Altec 9444 or EV2600? Altec 9442 or EV 2300 then send me a PM as I have a stack of good used amps.

I sincerely doubt that there is a problem with the surrounds of the 300's as I have never seen this fault with them. As I mentioned the spider does come unglued and can be fixed by re-gluing them if needed.

My suggestion is as follows.... Pick up a used Altec or EV power amp, a six or eight input mixer, and EQ, and a decent microphone and or wireless and lastly add 2) more SX300's to your system.

Now, you can run your speakers either 70 volt or conventional 8 or 4 ohm. If running 70 volt then install 70 volt transformers to your EV SX300's and add a transformer to your Altec/EV power amplifier.

Last edited by Original Burnedfingers; 8th September 2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 8th September 2012, 02:03 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

How quiet can you make the CD Player? Simply figuring out all the different ways to quiet it down will make some potential problems evident.
Old 8th September 2012, 05:04 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

You have to realize its only a commercial type system. Your not trying to obtain .001 distortion figures nor will you obtain a system with zero noise. Its not a home system and people will not hear or be bothered if there is possibly a little hum in it. Borrow a butt set and listen to the output of the system at the amplifier and then try floating the shield at the output of the mixer or the input of the mixer and then each individual piece of balanced gear to obtain the lowest noise. Some audio consultants float the shield at the input of the piece and some float it at the output of the piece. Those familier with what I am saying here have experienced this and know where I am coming from. Simply turning down unused inputs does a lot to lower the overall noise. There are a lot of us on this board that do this for a living so my advice is to listen and possibly consider what we say and do.

Hide this!Advertise here!