Dj Setup - Need input - Thanks!!!!! - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th August 2012, 09:29 PM   #11
imix500 is offline imix500  United States
Proud Union Member
diyAudio Member

Hi icmeinu,
with many people contributing on a thread it can be difficult to know who is responding to who, but I think you were replying to me. If not- please ignore.

The pair of speakers on the floor are in front of the pair on tripods by a couple feet by the looks. Sound comes out of the speakers at the same time, but because the speakers on the floor are closer to the audience the sound from them arrives just before the tripod speakers. This causes phase cancelation between the two pairs at different frequencies depending on how far in front of the tripod speakers the floor speakers are.

You could use delay processing to align them, but honestly those speakers on the floor are really just hitting peoples knees. You would be much better off putting another pair on tripods next to the existing pair in the pic pointing towards the dance floor if you need more coverage there.
Old 27th August 2012, 10:01 PM   #12
icmeinu is offline icmeinu  United States
diyAudio Member

Actually after thinking about what you said about the speaker placement, I believe I do understand, but what would you have done differently?
Old 27th August 2012, 10:20 PM   #13
Proud Union Member
diyAudio Member

If it were me, I would have used the pair on tripods just as they are and added another pair of the same right next to them. So you have the outer left and right pointed straight ahead or whatever gives you the best coverage for the room, and the inner pair pointed at the dance floor.
Old 27th August 2012, 11:35 PM   #14
icmeinu is offline icmeinu  United States
diyAudio Member

Ok, that would have work. so basically having the speakers on the tripod slightly behind the sp2's creates the variance in sound travel u spoke of in previous post?
Old 28th August 2012, 01:10 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Are the Gemini subwoofers the speakers that are on the poles in the picture? If so....get rid of those piece's of crap!!! Your Peavey's or JBL's produce as much bass as those Gemini's. Also you want your main speakers up on the poles to get the sound out to the crowds and put the subwoofers on the floor because you gain additional bass by coupling them to the floor. Actually subwoofers work best when put together and if you can put them in a corner of the room (solid wall) they will be even louder and fill the room nicely.

This vid was shot to show my LED bars but this venue holds 400 people. You can see my main speakers on the far edges (the inner speakers were the venues and not used). You can't see it but I have my yorkville 2 X 18" bass bin in the far right corner and it filled the room nicely.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="SonicXtasy's LED light bars up lighting curtains on stage. - YouTube" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A good subwoofer will make those PVs or JBL's seem larger than life.
Old 28th August 2012, 01:36 AM   #16
Proud Union Member
diyAudio Member

Yes, for time alignment it's all about distance. Sometimes it is correctable with processing like I mentioned. You could delay the speakers on the ground back so they line up with the tripod speakers. With a straightforward system, a few relatively free practices kept in mind can take care of it without the need for another processor.

Adding to that, it's a good idea to get the speakers off the ground and put the subs there instead (or put both subs together in the center, playing with sub placement can be fun if you have the time)
Old 28th August 2012, 01:40 AM   #17
Proud Union Member
diyAudio Member

SonicXtasy, I'm pretty sure the speakers on tripods are some brand of molded plastic 2-ways. (I think I see the shape of a horn and porting on either side)
Old 28th August 2012, 01:55 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imix500 View Post
SonicXtasy, I'm pretty sure the speakers on tripods are some brand of molded plastic 2-ways. (I think I see the shape of a horn and porting on either side)
I agree that that is what they look like but in his first post he said he had Gemini 15 inch subwoofers. Later in the post with the picture he said he put the Gemini's on the poles and the PVs on the ground which made me think that those were the Gemini subwoofers that he was talking about.
Old 28th August 2012, 02:54 AM   #19
Proud Union Member
diyAudio Member

Hmm, you are correct. I read right over that. Maybe icmeinu could clarify.

Hide this!Advertise here!