Dj Setup - Need input - Thanks!!!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys, I've read a lot of posts before posting this for days on end. Hope I can get some feedback. Came into some DJ equipment at a price my partner and I couldn't turn down. Anyway I've been reading and downloading manuals (for the amps) trying to understand all the capabilities. (slowly getting there) I'll list what I'm using, how I'm using it, and I'd appreciate any and all feedback, on what I may need to subtract or add in order to gain optimum performance out of this equipment. I Dj with Virtual Dj Pro Version, using an HP G7-1310us, with a Numark Mixtrack Pro Controller, I run that into -

American Audio Q-D6 SRS3 Mixer
along with (2) Americn Audio CDI-300 CD/MP3 Players

the mixer is run into:

NADY GEQ 215 2ch 15 band EQ

which is run into:

Behringer Super-X Pro 2310 Crossover

then come the amps:

Crown XTI 4000 - runs the mains

QSC RMX 1450 - for bass/subs

speakers:

2 Peavey SP2
2 JBL JRX125
2 Peavey PV15m

I also have a pair of older Gemini Passive subs (15") that I don't always bring out because really they aren't needed due to size of the venue.
We also came into an SWR Goliath III bass speaker (the one with the 4 10's and horn)
I told my partner that I didn't think the Goliath was the appropriate type of bass speaker for what we do, I'd rather sell that and get a Peavey 18" sub or two and use that instead.

We've tried out the Goliath on some smaller venues where we didn't need much in the way of loudness due to room size. But it didn't give me what I'd like to get sound wise. I am bridging the output of the bass amp.

Honestly not sure if maybe I should switch and use the QSC for the mains and the crowns for bass. I've got the system sounding decent, but I'm thinking it can be better. Also I'm still trying to figure out the best way to set up the Crown amp as far as the presets go for optimum sound for the mains.

One other thing I've tried is bi-amping both sets of Peavey speakers on another smaller function, the problem there is you can daisy chain in full range mode, but bi-amp, that option isn't there.

Thank You in advance! :):):):)

Sell all the speakers/bass guitar stuff and invest in some good light tops and buy/build a set of better subs.
That is a hodgepodge collection of speakers that would only be good for a metal band.

What type of music and how many people do you plan on DJ'ing for?

Sell all the speakers/bass guitar stuff and invest in some good light tops and buy/build a set of better subs.
That is a hodgepodge collection of speakers that would only be good for a metal band.

What type of music and how many people do you plan on DJ'ing for?

I usually play R&B, top 40, hip hop, just about everything, the amount of people varies depending on the venue, the last function was for 60 people, doing a cookout this weekend for about 300 people. Definitely planned on getting rid of the Goliath III, replacing that with a better sub (s). Looking at Peavey 18" sub

As far,as good light tops, what would be a good choice, I wish I could say 'money ain't a thing' but such is not the case, trying to make the best of what I have.

Last edited:
If you are going for sound quality, dump the mixtrack pro and american audio mixer. **** in = **** out.
Get an Native instruments S4 or even better, a Xone 4D.

Believe me I looked at those but they are out of range for me right now, have to admit I don't care for the flatness of the sound of mixtrack's soundcard. If I went and got the S4, you guys would be saying rest in peace. :D

The upgrade is coming and will probably be the S4.

As far as the amps and other stuff, am I heading in the right direction ( so to speak )

Thanks!

Of the three pairs of speakers you have, I would use the SP2 and do something else with the other two pairs. The JRX even with the dual 15 are not going to take more abuse than the peavey. The PV15m are stage monitors. If you plan on using them for "texas headphones" fine, but they are a compromising choice for mains.
If you need more tops, get an identicle pair. Mixing different brands or models does not usually work well. Splay them out so each pair covers the room evenly.

You have plenty of power for just one or two pairs of tops and a pair of subs. Which amp on what doesn't matter too much, but I would run the sub amp in stereo. Honestly, with one pair of 8 ohm subs around the size of the Geminis it probably doesn't matter. If you really needed the capability to load down the amp you would be looking at multiple 20A circuits to power the rig.

As far as subs-
If the Gemeni subs work there's nothing wrong with using them. Sure there are better subs, but if they provide enough output for the gigs you do I would keep using them until your venues grow and they become insufficient. If two are too much for the gig just bring one and turn down the other sub amp channel.

The SWR as you have found its ment for bass guitar not so much PA reinforcement.

Last edited:
First off you need to decide how big/loud/amount of bass you need want. Next is to decide the allowed size and weight you want to carry. Factor in appearance also if you do weddings or other formal events. Psrt of the problem is you have a mismatch of speakers. They dont acousticly blend well together and dont look good either. Do the jrx/sp2's have enough output for your needs not taking bass output into consideration. If so, decide which ones you like the sound of and buy a 2nd pair of those and sell the others. Bring 2 for small gigs and 4 when needed. For subs i would consider 4 of the tham15's found on this site. The crown amp is great but you will what to upgrade the qsc to sometjing bigger or simply get a 2nd one. Use each 1450 to drive 2 subs. As for the other gear, realistly you will want to replace it all but get the speakers sorted first.

First off you need to decide how big/loud/amount of bass you need want. Next is to decide the allowed size and weight you want to carry. Factor in appearance also if you do weddings or other formal events. Psrt of the problem is you have a mismatch of speakers. They dont acousticly blend well together and dont look good either. Do the jrx/sp2's have enough output for your needs not taking bass output into consideration. If so, decide which ones you like the sound of and buy a 2nd pair of those and sell the others. Bring 2 for small gigs and 4 when needed. For subs i would consider 4 of the tham15's found on this site. The crown amp is great but you will what to upgrade the qsc to sometjing bigger or simply get a 2nd one. Use each 1450 to drive 2 subs. As for the other gear, realistly you will want to replace it all but get the speakers sorted first.

For the most part I have some thought in mind, I wanted to run it by some of you guys for input, my partner is cool, but not technically saavy, normally, part of the problem is that he is a horder and doesn't want to get rid of stuff, even stuff we no longer use. We've got enough stuff that we could get rid of in order to purchase what we should have. (that's an uphill battle)

As for bass and the sound I'd like, the Gemini's are ok, was just thinking about a punchier (if there is such a word) deeper sound, all that may just be a matter of equalization or lack thereof. They usually come out for the big parties.

A normal set up (small) would be the sp2's on the floor and the Gemini's on the tripod pic attached (hopefully)

And I understand what you say about the asthetics of how the equipment appears once setup.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMAG0048.jpg
    IMAG0048.jpg
    649.2 KB · Views: 126
The biggest issue with running the system the way shown in the picture is time allignment between the two pairs of speakers. You get some crazy acoustical interference because the sound from the two pairs is arriving at the audience at two different times.

I hear what you are saying, but don't completely understand, I do know that once we were hooked up it took a minute to the sound situated. The room itself was small, the venue was setup for 60 people. But I'd like to know more about what you are referring to

Last edited:
Hi icmeinu,
with many people contributing on a thread it can be difficult to know who is responding to who, but I think you were replying to me. If not- please ignore.

The pair of speakers on the floor are in front of the pair on tripods by a couple feet by the looks. Sound comes out of the speakers at the same time, but because the speakers on the floor are closer to the audience the sound from them arrives just before the tripod speakers. This causes phase cancelation between the two pairs at different frequencies depending on how far in front of the tripod speakers the floor speakers are.

You could use delay processing to align them, but honestly those speakers on the floor are really just hitting peoples knees. You would be much better off putting another pair on tripods next to the existing pair in the pic pointing towards the dance floor if you need more coverage there.

If it were me, I would have used the pair on tripods just as they are and added another pair of the same right next to them. So you have the outer left and right pointed straight ahead or whatever gives you the best coverage for the room, and the inner pair pointed at the dance floor.

Are the Gemini subwoofers the speakers that are on the poles in the picture? If so....get rid of those piece's of crap!!! Your Peavey's or JBL's produce as much bass as those Gemini's. Also you want your main speakers up on the poles to get the sound out to the crowds and put the subwoofers on the floor because you gain additional bass by coupling them to the floor. Actually subwoofers work best when put together and if you can put them in a corner of the room (solid wall) they will be even louder and fill the room nicely.

This vid was shot to show my LED bars but this venue holds 400 people. You can see my main speakers on the far edges (the inner speakers were the venues and not used). You can't see it but I have my yorkville 2 X 18" bass bin in the far right corner and it filled the room nicely.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="SonicXtasy's LED light bars up lighting curtains on stage. - YouTube" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A good subwoofer will make those PVs or JBL's seem larger than life.

Yes, for time alignment it's all about distance. Sometimes it is correctable with processing like I mentioned. You could delay the speakers on the ground back so they line up with the tripod speakers. With a straightforward system, a few relatively free practices kept in mind can take care of it without the need for another processor.

Adding to that, it's a good idea to get the speakers off the ground and put the subs there instead (or put both subs together in the center, playing with sub placement can be fun if you have the time)

SonicXtasy, I'm pretty sure the speakers on tripods are some brand of molded plastic 2-ways. (I think I see the shape of a horn and porting on either side)

I agree that that is what they look like but in his first post he said he had Gemini 15 inch subwoofers. Later in the post with the picture he said he put the Gemini's on the poles and the PVs on the ground which made me think that those were the Gemini subwoofers that he was talking about.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.