PA speaker resistor blew... quick question. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd July 2012, 02:11 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default PA speaker resistor blew... quick question.

The resistors on my speaker cabinets blew out, I ordered new ones. would it mess anything up to change out this resistor with a 5w 8ohm one instead of the 5w 4 ohm one?

Im using a soundtech 500w 8ohm PA head and 2 15"+tweeter cabinets...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1936.jpg (577.2 KB, 90 views)
Old 22nd July 2012, 03:28 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Yes, going from 4 Ohms to 8 Ohms will mess things up!
(Cross-over frequency wise or maybe volume of one of the drivers)

But, going from 5 Watts to 10 Watts would be good.

Last edited by Speedskater; 22nd July 2012 at 03:33 PM. Reason: added content
Old 22nd July 2012, 03:35 PM   #3
diyAudio Moderator

More importantly, you have to ask why the resistor blew in the first place. I suspect you've been overdriving the amp, causing clipping. Replacing with a higher wattage may just cause the drivers to blow next time.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 22nd July 2012, 07:19 PM   #4
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

if that is in series with the drivers, you might consider putting a lightbulb of appropriate size in series with the entire HF xover or right before the tweeters... the resistance raises when excess current flows and lights the bulb... it doubles as a fuse... an automotive tail light bulb is commonly used for this.
Old 23rd July 2012, 04:16 PM   #5
CCU is offline CCU  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to CCU
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
if that is in series with the drivers, you might consider putting a lightbulb of appropriate size in series with the entire HF xover or right before the tweeters... the resistance raises when excess current flows and lights the bulb... it doubles as a fuse... an automotive tail light bulb is commonly used for this.
Or a cheaper alternative would be a halogen bulb
Click the image to open in full size.

They can be had for next to nothing and have similar performance
Old 23rd July 2012, 05:44 PM   #6
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

They have brittle filaments, I would not use in a situation where I needed to rely upon the speaker. Auto bulbs have rugged filaments designed to work under constant vibration... Plus you can solder to them.

_-_-bear
Old 23rd July 2012, 10:55 PM   #7
CCU is offline CCU  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to CCU
My bad. I've haven't tried it myself. but seen it used several times, newer thought about the vibration part
Old 24th July 2012, 03:24 AM   #8
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

hey, no bad. good thought! I think they make halogen automotive bulbs!!
Old 24th July 2012, 04:00 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
That would be a great idea to use a light-bulb for protection (I have heard of the concept).......To take the idea to a higher level, one could incorporate an automotive bayonet base into the front baffle, giving easy access & function as a visual aid.

__________________________________________________ ___Rick...........
Old 24th July 2012, 04:16 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Rick
The bulbs work a treat. They do not really light up though - unless i suppose you were trying really really hard to blow things up. Though at that point I suspect that a dimly glowing bulb would be something less of an indication than the noise and smoke emanating from the speaker!

Used the bulb trick in some cabinets for my brother. You want to characterise the particular bulbs you use. I found two 12volt 12watt bulbs to be just right. You could probably drop these in place Of a 4 ohm resistor as their resistance was from memory an ohm or two.

Hide this!Advertise here!