PA speaker resistor blew... quick question.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The resistors on my speaker cabinets blew out, I ordered new ones. would it mess anything up to change out this resistor with a 5w 8ohm one instead of the 5w 4 ohm one?

Im using a soundtech 500w 8ohm PA head and 2 15"+tweeter cabinets...

Attachments

• IMG_1936.jpg
    IMG_1936.jpg
    577.2 KB · Views: 117
if that is in series with the drivers, you might consider putting a lightbulb of appropriate size in series with the entire HF xover or right before the tweeters... the resistance raises when excess current flows and lights the bulb... it doubles as a fuse... an automotive tail light bulb is commonly used for this.

if that is in series with the drivers, you might consider putting a lightbulb of appropriate size in series with the entire HF xover or right before the tweeters... the resistance raises when excess current flows and lights the bulb... it doubles as a fuse... an automotive tail light bulb is commonly used for this.

Or a cheaper alternative would be a halogen bulb
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

They can be had for next to nothing and have similar performance

That would be a great idea to use a light-bulb for protection (I have heard of the concept).......To take the idea to a higher level, one could incorporate an automotive bayonet base into the front baffle, giving easy access & function as a visual aid.

_____________________________________________________Rick...........

Rick
The bulbs work a treat. They do not really light up though - unless i suppose you were trying really really hard to blow things up. Though at that point I suspect that a dimly glowing bulb would be something less of an indication than the noise and smoke emanating from the speaker!

Used the bulb trick in some cabinets for my brother. You want to characterise the particular bulbs you use. I found two 12volt 12watt bulbs to be just right. You could probably drop these in place Of a 4 ohm resistor as their resistance was from memory an ohm or two.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.