25hz horn for PD2150/2450

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

I'm going to start a project using PD2150 or PD 2450 (could be others if you have very good arguments). I would like to have suggestions for horn bins going down to about 25hz and up to about 90hz. Yes they will need "some space". But that is not a problem;).
What i'm hoping for is that one of you experienced guys can and will post me drawn to scale with 1 or 2 folds.
Trying to tell me not to is total waste :)

Have a nice day

I'm not sure how big you had in mind, but I think the PD2450 would do well in a tapped transmission line.... A true horn arrangement for this driver isn't practical IMO. Not enough to gain for the enormous increases in box volume required. The following could fit in a box ~24" x 30" x 60", single fold right down the middle. Easy.

Attachments

• HR SPL PD2450.jpg
    HR SPL PD2450.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 438
  • HRinput PD2450 TQWTL.jpg
    HRinput PD2450 TQWTL.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 388
  • DD PD2450.jpg
    DD PD2450.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 386
I'm not sure how big you had in mind, but I think the PD2450 would do well in a tapped transmission line.... A true horn arrangement for this driver isn't practical IMO. Not enough to gain for the enormous increases in box volume required. The following could fit in a box ~24" x 30" x 60", single fold right down the middle. Easy.

I have the space for much bigger bins. And I think it has to be horn to achieve the goal for spl and dynamic and VERY big to reach the low cutoff. Perhaps the 2150 is a better choice?
Tried earlier to exted different hornboxes. Always with significant improvement in soundquality and extended frequenceresponse.
Now I just want to start with "the beginning" and build it based on the right calculations all the way.

soundguf,
Are you truly trying to build a single horn that goes down to 25hz with a single device as the driver. I don't know what driver you are planning to use but besides the actual diameter of the device this is a fairly simple exercise in design. How advanced a design are you looking for. A simple straight horn isn't hard with straight side, a curved horn would take a bit more to do. I have built some very large horns, not this big, you are talking about a mouth size of almost 12' x 12' at a 1/4 wave length. I hope you don't have any neighbors as they might not like that. The US government made some metal horns that big and used them to knock down buildings..... Yes sound can be a weapon. :eek:

Multiple enclosures would be more practical but then you need multiple drivers to go with them.

Hello Kindhornman

Thanks for your respons. Yes I realy what to build some large horns. The building I have been using for my earlyer setup. Has already subsidence damage.
But once in a while I will load them on a truck to other locations and have some fun....trying to make music alive again:) (I think mp3 on small bins is killing music) I Like sound "fullsize" and uncompressed.
I am a kind of a newbie in designing horns. So thats why I would like to get some help with the start of this project.....

Greets!

Your links don't work.

Well, default compression horn design using published specs yields a 19-190 Hz hyperbolic FLH, so you're covered at both ends. Load the attached file into HornResp to get all the design details.

GM

Attachments

• pd2150_f.txt
    419 bytes · Views: 94
25 hz seems unrealistic to me.
may i ask what kind of music?
is it for pa?
will you be using 1,2 or 4 per side?

i just put in hr for fun.
1 horn 25hz 2 pi space(outside ground floor) you need a horn 515 mtrs long,system volume 8650ltrs(when bild ~10m3).
if you change it to 35 hz you would need less then half the volume.
grtz erik

you're welcome!

Hmm, I posted on the other thread, so assumed a 1pi space loading. For an outdoor 2pi loading it needs to be larger, but due to HR's mouth size limitation I had to increase the cutoff to 21.7 Hz, which is still low enough to achieve your stated performance requirement.

GM

Attachments

• pd2150_2.txt
    419 bytes · Views: 48
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.