need help power mixer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st July 2012, 01:17 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default need help power mixer

i have two 400w speakers and i need a power mixer for them in a small jam room in buddies basement that goes well over the drums and guitar without bad feedback. how many watts should my powered mixer be around for good quality loud sound?
Old 21st July 2012, 02:57 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleach89 View Post
i have two 400w speakers and i need a power mixer for them in a small jam room in buddies basement that goes well over the drums and guitar without bad feedback. how many watts should my powered mixer be around for good quality loud sound?
We cannot tell, as it would entirely depend upon the efficiency of the "400 watt" speakers. If they can produce 100dB/w (most cannot) then you only need a few watts. If they are less efficient, you need more power. Typically, every time you increase the level 3dB you need 4 times the power. To go from 85dB ( loud in an average room ) to 125 dB (loud for a band) takes a lot more power quickly.

"400 Watt" speakers actually tells us very little other than the power level the manufacturer thinks they will take before the voice coils in them melt.

Sorry, but can only give basic advice. Most power-mixers seem to be in the 100 to 300 watt range. You probably need one in that range.

If you know the efficiency of the speakers, then more accurate guidance can be given.

Joe L.

Last edited by J. L.; 21st July 2012 at 03:02 AM.
Old 21st July 2012, 06:50 AM   #3
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

What he said^^^

Feedbackis not a matter of watts. Feedback is the result of the sound from the speakers getting into the microphones. If the mics can pick up the speaker sound, it "feeds back" through the sytem.

In a jam room you probably don;t really need a lot of power. But pay attention to where the speakers are placed with resp[ect to the working end of the microphones. Mics matter too. Many inexpensive mics tend to be "omnidirectional." That means they pick up from all directions. Most good vocal mics we use are directional. "Cardioid" mics are common and they pick up straight out the front WAY better than they pick up from the rear or sides. So a monitor speaker aimed at the back end of such a mic doesn't get picked up so much.

Decide how many channels you need, one per mic. And will you be running anything else through the system? You probably won;t need to mic the drums or keyboards, nor a direct line from the bass, not in the basement. On a stage at a gig may be a different story. You can get a lot of powered mixer for not a lot of money if yo go used. An old Peavey XR600b or XR600C can be had cheap, and would probably work just fine.
Old 22nd July 2012, 03:03 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

1.5-inch DH-1K titanium HF compression driver
50 Hz 20 kHz frequency range
90 x 50 coverage-pattern waveguide
60 Monitor Angle
134 dB max SPL
Power handling: 400 W continuous, 1600 W peak

Hide this!Advertise here!