Where to start?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I like big systems. I like building big systems, I like listening to big systems, I like designing big systems... I like big noises.

The only trouble is that I have no need for a large PA system with which I could hit 140 db and up, but I want one.

I'm going to build a few TH subs soon as part of a group project but I probably won't be holding onto them for long, however if it works I could get the capital I would need to start building a PA system for my own use. I have experience building all sorts of speakers and designing PA systems (I'm building my school a $5500 system in a few months) so I know that I could build myself everything I would need without a problem, other than funds.

Basically my question is this: If I were to build a large PA system with a pile of SS15's and some PA tops or something similar what could I do with it to make my investment worthwhile?

Where would I market that sort of thing to get sound reinforcement type gigs? What do you guys do with your systems?

I love the idea of doing house parties, because I like that music, but I don't know how to DJ except simple fading between songs...

How did you all start getting into the sound reinforcement scene?

Is it a sort of have spacesuit-will travel thing where if I have a system uses for it will follow naturally or is finding gigs pretty difficult?

Sorry for all the questions...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I like big systems. I like building big systems, I like listening to big systems, I like designing big systems... I like big noises.
Me too.
The only trouble is that I have no need for a large PA system with which I could hit 140 db and up, but I want one.
Same here.
Where would I market that sort of thing to get sound reinforcement type gigs? What do you guys do with your systems?
I only do private parties and sadly, not enough of them.
I love the idea of doing house parties, because I like that music, but I don't know how to DJ except simple fading between songs...
That's all I know how to do and I don't even bring the big stuff for parties.
How did you all start getting into the sound reinforcement scene?
I tripped and fell face first into into it.
Is it a sort of have spacesuit-will travel thing where if I have a system uses for it will follow naturally or is finding gigs pretty difficult?
You'll have to ask others for that kinda help but maybe visit your local community centre (large auditorium or outdoor field type) and tell them you're reasonably priced and available on short notice
Sorry for all the questions...
Sorry I can't answer all your questions but it's nice to post with someone like minded. You are not alone. :)

Do you have tables ,dual cd drive or work on a computer to do your mixing? Start by getting two of the same tracks and mix them together till you can beat mix smoothly, thhen try it with different tracks of similar tempo(bpm). Practice,practice,practice every chance you get. Try dropping one song into the next, keep your dB meters at a similar level between channels. Then when you're confident, pick up a drawing program and make up some advertising,be creative but serious. Post them where the clientele you want, will see it. It'll start slow, but business will pick up if your good and have a good attitude. Try renting equipment(which you'll have to incorparate into your price , which means less total income)till you have enough capital to buy used (or new ) pieces of equipment .And build from there.

Do you have tables ,dual cd drive or work on a computer to do your mixing? Start by getting two of the same tracks and mix them together till you can beat mix smoothly, thhen try it with different tracks of similar tempo(bpm). Practice,practice,practice every chance you get. Try dropping one song into the next, keep your dB meters at a similar level between channels. Then when you're confident, pick up a drawing program and make up some advertising,be creative but serious. Post them where the clientele you want, will see it. It'll start slow, but business will pick up if your good and have a good attitude. Try renting equipment(which you'll have to incorparate into your price , which means less total income)till you have enough capital to buy used (or new ) pieces of equipment .And build from there.

Thanks for the tip. I don't have any gear really, just the ability to make it...

After I sell a few subs I'll look into getting a mix board. I have a DJ friend who could probably point me in the right direction

Oh yeah..... and buy once ,cry once ( which means spend the money up front and get good equipment) rather than having substandard junk which breaks too often, and are always overated spec-wise. I couldn't afford it but I busted my a** and finally got enough for a Crest CC5500 amp and it was totally worth it. Same with the rest of my gear ,all top brands, but the money you make from gigs has to be re-invested back into the business in order to prosper.

Consider the cost and hassle of transporting and storing a large system. A set of good powered tops may be enough for 90% of the gigs you ever do.

After investing in processors/eq, cables, hardware, amp, ampcase/racks, van, lights, etc you will need to find clients that want to pay you for rigging it all up. My diy stuff with hours of time and energy in it means nothing to customers but a suit and capability to communicate will land gigs even for those with mediocre systems.

Not needing a large system is absolutely no reason for not building one!
Gigging it could be a hassle though - with the need of transport and trying to fit gigging around day jobs.
If you're mainly interested in building, but would quite like to go to some parties too, you might well be able to find some people who'd be interested in dry hireing your PA as "racks and stacks" - possibly as a completment to a system they allready own, for bigger giggs. This way they take most of the responsibility, and should let you get as much or as little involved with the gig as you want. Do you have a university or collage nearby? They're always full of societies who want to make a noise about something.
In this case, the most inportant thing is to come up with a simple, transportable system that a monkey can set up, and no-one can blow up no matter how hard they try (and they will!).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.