Vintage Richard Long Bertha/vintage JBL - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th June 2012, 09:58 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Vintage Richard Long Bertha/vintage JBL

I have come in possession of a vintage RLA Bertha speaker cabinet. It's huge. With it are two very large JBL pa/stage speakers with separate cabinets that sit on top. I was told they have not been used since the early 1980's. There are also two other large speaker cabinets. I'm posting to see if there is any interest. I will be putting them up for sale soon. Thanks, Steve
Old 28th June 2012, 04:53 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I did some work with Richard and know some of his boxes. Maybe I can identify the particular design.
Old 29th June 2012, 01:00 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi. I can send you some pictures if that's possible. I just joined this forum.
Old 4th July 2012, 10:42 PM   #4
tomi is offline tomi  Wales
diyAudio Member

Not interested in buying I'm afraid - but I'd love to see some pictures if you have them, just for interest's sake.
Old 5th July 2012, 01:08 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default RLA Bertha JBL speakers

If you give your email address, I'll send a bunch.
Old 5th July 2012, 02:05 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi. I pulled the back off the Bertha and the subwoofers had this marked on them:
18016 67-8525.
Old 5th July 2012, 08:19 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Please post a couple of pictures of Bertha drivers and the other boxes on the DIYAUDIO site if you have them. It would help identify them.

The part numbers you give are likely the custom Eminence (maybe RCF?) cone kits or drivers for the woofers used in the Bertha. The 8525 may be the date code of manufacture - 3rd week of June 1985 which would be late in Richard's career - he passed away in Dec 86. Be carefull in thinking better woofers like JBL, Celestion, EV etc will give better results in a Bertha - I've seen Berthas with large Crest monoblocks destroy the surrounds and cones of "better" drivers substituted into them in a couple of hours, while the original drivers last years at high SPL use. The cone mass, compliance of the surround, and speaker coil and motor parameters all need to be optimised for the high pressures, rear chamber volume, and loading of the Bertha (or any) bass horn.

Last edited by ticknpop; 5th July 2012 at 08:34 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!