Mini PA system question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th June 2012, 04:23 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Mini PA system question

Hello, I am looking to make a mini PA system for my bike. I am trying to keep it relatively inexpensive. I am wondering if this combo would work. I am a complete newb to audio stuff, so bare with me. lol. Any input would be helpful, and thanks in advance.
New Vaas Portable Mini Speaker for any USB or 3.5mm Audio Device - 3 Colors | eBay
Amazon.com: Compact Waterproof Two-Way Radio Speaker Mic for Yaesu VX-8 w/Audio Out Jack: Electronics

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12th June 2012, 07:35 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I'm personally not a fan of those tiny speakers. If you've heard them, and know exactly what you're in for, then that's okay. If you haven't, I'd advise you to look elsewhere.

Without dismantling the mic, I've no idea if it'll work: it would appear to be made for a specific receiver (which may supply a voltage for a condenser mic to work - without this voltage supply, you'll get nothing out of the mic).
You could try other mics, but...

Microphones tend to put out very tiny signals; much smaller than those from iPods etc. The signals will therefore require some boosting before they're big enough to put into the speaker and then get reasonable volume out.

Google microphone preamp circuit - they're usually nice and simple, so you could probably attach the small circuitboard to the speaker itself to keep things need. Pick a reasonably cheap hand-held microphone, and go from there.

Feedback might end up being an issue, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there - try to get a cardiod mic.

Chris
Old 12th June 2012, 09:30 PM   #3
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I've no idea how you expect those two parts to work together, they won't.

Even if they could, a good speaking voice is far louder than that speaker
could ever reproduce, there is nothing PA at all about that tiny speaker.

rgds, sreten.
Old 13th July 2012, 03:26 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

PA means public address, so it is a pa system, you could be at a public address and make a public address, doesnt mean anyone will be able to hear it though. It could be a nearfield PA though, for 3 people in a tight circle.. but then you might as well wisper

A mic and a set of small crappy speakers? what size is you bike...

You might as well by a Megaphone. atleast that way people will be able to hear it.

What on earth is it for? if i may inquire...

Last edited by WaVeInFoRm; 13th July 2012 at 03:29 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!