Mini PA system question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I am looking to make a mini PA system for my bike. I am trying to keep it relatively inexpensive. I am wondering if this combo would work. I am a complete newb to audio stuff, so bare with me. lol. Any input would be helpful, and thanks in advance.
New Vaas Portable Mini Speaker for any USB or 3.5mm Audio Device - 3 Colors | eBay
Amazon.com: Compact Waterproof Two-Way Radio Speaker Mic for Yaesu VX-8 w/Audio Out Jack: Electronics

41f604DkQjL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I'm personally not a fan of those tiny speakers. If you've heard them, and know exactly what you're in for, then that's okay. If you haven't, I'd advise you to look elsewhere.

Without dismantling the mic, I've no idea if it'll work: it would appear to be made for a specific receiver (which may supply a voltage for a condenser mic to work - without this voltage supply, you'll get nothing out of the mic).
You could try other mics, but...

Microphones tend to put out very tiny signals; much smaller than those from iPods etc. The signals will therefore require some boosting before they're big enough to put into the speaker and then get reasonable volume out.

Google microphone preamp circuit - they're usually nice and simple, so you could probably attach the small circuitboard to the speaker itself to keep things need. Pick a reasonably cheap hand-held microphone, and go from there.

Feedback might end up being an issue, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there - try to get a cardiod mic.

Chris

PA means public address, so it is a pa system, you could be at a public address and make a public address, doesnt mean anyone will be able to hear it though. It could be a nearfield PA though, for 3 people in a tight circle.. but then you might as well wisper

A mic and a set of small crappy speakers? what size is you bike...

You might as well by a Megaphone. atleast that way people will be able to hear it.

What on earth is it for? if i may inquire...

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.