Neutrik NL4 round wire and guage - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd May 2012, 05:53 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Neutrik NL4 round wire and guage

What kind of 4-conductor wire do you guys use w/ NL4 plugs and jacks?

I'm using NL4 plugs and jacks, and need to buy the wire ASAP. They seem to want round wire, and not a very large diameter. I brought home some 12/4 with a thick rubber jacket and little or no fiber or cloth or cardboard filler, and it didn't really fit into the strain-relief sleeve.

What guage stranded wire can I tin up and clamp with those weird set-screws?

Each cabinet has 4 12" drivers, and two NL4 jacks and 2 T-S 1/4" jacks. I can wire an NL4 plug to make the two 1/4" jacks each drive two drivers in series or parallel, depending on how I wire the NL4.

But I'd really like to use the NL4 jacks. But all I have is flat #10 wire similar to Monster, like huge clear twin-lead. So I'm looking at round wire to buy. I found some round wire actually meant for audio, meant to be installed inside walls for home theater. The 12/4 might even fit into the NL4 strain-relief sleeve because the vinyl jacket seems much thinner than the heavy rubber jacket on the too-thick wire from Home Depot.

The truth is I wish I'd gotten the bigger Neutrik plugs and jacks, but don't really need them. I look at it this way: 4 #14 wires are approx. equivalent to 2 #11. So that's pretty good. And I'm running 8 wires to each cabinet, so each does not really need to carry much current.
Old 24th May 2012, 01:07 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Can anyone tell me what type of round wire they use for Neutrik NL4 connectors..
Old 24th May 2012, 01:50 AM   #3
diyAudio Moderator

We mostly use this. What the US equivalent is I have no idea.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 24th May 2012, 05:12 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I see some people use SJ rubber-covered power cord in #14/4-conductor. But I see pre-made commercial cables using #12 with oxygen-free wire. I find other #12/4 speaker wire with oxygen-free copper but they're for in-wall installation and have easy-strip jacket, not durable.
Old 24th May 2012, 05:13 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

12/4 from Home Depot does not fit into the Neutrik NL4 larger strain relief sleeve. At least not easily...
And I would like better conductors if possible.
Old 24th May 2012, 05:14 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The best buy is definitely pre-made cables w/ 4-conductor speakon, but they don't call then 'neutrik' so the plugs are compatible clones and not the real thing.
Old 31st May 2012, 01:18 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Well, that's what I did. I bought pre-made cables for less than the wire costs me, and I got real Neutrik connectors on them.
Old 1st June 2012, 11:18 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

this is where i purchased my wire. very good stuff. they have an ebay store also. i've seen differences in the price.

12 Gauge 4 Conductor Speaker Wire
Old 1st June 2012, 01:36 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

There is special 13 gauge 4 conductor wire made for Neutrik connectors.
Old 4th June 2012, 01:41 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

My pre-made 12-guage turned out to be 2-conductor and useless to me. I'll look into that MyStarSound

thanks.

Hide this!Advertise here!