Advice on speakers for PA tops

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a small PA built form older gear, and I am looking for advice on some new top speakers to go with the existing subs.

The plans are to use trapezoid 2.75 cubic foot sealed cabinets, Bi-Amped, with Eminence Delta Pro-15A for the mids, and Selenium D220Ti compression drivers loaded with 10"x6" horns.

I will be using crown K2 amps on both the mids and highs. Subs are 2 pairs of EAW SB-180, with each pair powered by a bridged Crown K2. Processing is done with a DBX Driverack PA+, so I can set the crossover frequencies however they are needed.

Right now I am just using Cerwin Vega 300SE speakers as my tops, and they are great speakers, but I want to move up to something pro grade. Would I be better off going the DIY route for around $500 total on the pair, or should I just get something pre-made? The MTX TP-1200 looks like a reasonable deal, but I'm not sure on the quality. It is also not bi-amp ready.

Eminence Delta Pro-15A for the mids
Isn't it too big ? It's ok if you make a three way , the midrange being an 8" .
Since you have the lower octave reproduce by two subs , what you need for the sats
is a fast and dynamical unit , and not a big large cone to reproduce above 1KHz ...
which is where the tweeter should start to emit ..but not capable, so ...
Hmmm...I'm seeing the data of the Eminence Delta Pro-15A...and looking at the cone it is very deep and has some exponential shape , and the rise above 1 KHz ( as predicted )
it's not so pronounced , almost smooth . :p
Maybe not so bad ! The problem now is the tweeter ... can it be crossed safely at say , 2 KHz ? . That's why a 3 way system can be , strangely , simpler than a two way !!
Both need crossovers to work at their best . I suggest to buy those MTX TP-1200 and
do a de-crossoverization job , by putting binding posts everywhere ( or Speakon )
then study the crossover and how it works...maybe it could be the starting point or basis
for future projects !

If you plan to be moving these at all I'd suggest the Kappalite over the Delta Pro. A bit more money initially, but your back will thank you in the long run.

Do you ever plan to use the 15" and tweeter by itself, full range?

The MTX stuff isn't much of a step up from where you are now, unless you plan to pull the components and use just the box. Oft times it's cheaper to buy something ready made. With the level of quality components in the rest of your system, I'd try to look a step or tow up from the MTX option. No matter what you get though, like Pico said, it's pretty easy to bypass the internal crossover on just about any cabinet if biamp is your goal.

Last edited:
If you plan to be moving these at all I'd suggest the Kappalite over the Delta Pro. A bit more money initially, but your back will thank you in the long run.

Do you ever plan to use the 15" and tweeter by itself, full range?

The MTX stuff isn't much of a step up from where you are now, unless you plan to pull the components and use just the box. Oft times it's cheaper to buy something ready made. With the level of quality components in the rest of your system, I'd try to look a step or tow up from the MTX option. No matter what you get though, like Pico said, it's pretty easy to bypass the internal crossover on just about any cabinet if biamp is your goal.

They will only be used in bi-amp.

If I do move them, they are going to be fitted with handles for two people. But most of the time this rig just serves as my home stereo :)

I haven't had much luck finding good quality 2 way PA speakers for a reasonable price. I really prefer stuff made with birch plywood and high grade commercial components. I just don't care for home stuff, because it feels like it has too many limits. It also has a horrible resale value, at least in my experience.

Last edited:
I would try the Selenium round horns since those may sound better. The dispersion isn't as good for covering groups, but for home listening the directionality should be a plus.

$500 on Eminence and Selenium components should get you something with much greater power handling and efficiency than the same money spent on "home" speakers at retail prices. If the Eminence stuff seems expensive, get quotes on JBL or TAD or Stage Accompany drivers and that'll quickly put it in perspective.

On the other hand... if you're not in a tearing hurry, put feelers out for used pro speakers with music stores, sound rental companies, etc. Something may come along at a great price. Just be extremely careful... listen carefully, physically examine them to make sure the compression drivers haven't been swapped for cheap piezos, etc.

Hi Maxxarcade ;
There are a lot of older "higly available" boxes that will sound great , with a few minor tweeks.
For example EV SH-1512 ER's are an older design by EV , the cab's are neither MDF or baltic birch plywood. Instead they used a specially made OSB using a waterproof resin and a lot of it, then they used some decent drivers . (EV drivers where always good) This cab with a little work sound great.
FIrst change out the crappy 18 ga wire they used ( use high strand count 12 ga instead) next reverese the phase on the HF driver (better check ) some came from the factory installed out of phase . Next coat the 15" with a couple of layers "puzzlecoat" , it helps clean up mid-range like nothing else.
Then chagne out the cap components with high quality SOLEN or similar.
There are various other mods , but this will give you an exceptional sounding speaker with little out of the pocket .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.