how to Connect Studiomaster mixer to active speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi I have a classic Studiomaster 8 into 4 mixing desk and would like to know which inputs i need to connect 2 active speakers to in the back of the desk, i dont want to fry it!........
Ive included a picture of the back for you to look at and any help would be appreciated thankyou Richie
Connecting powered speakers to studiomaster desk | Pro Audio Questions that is the link for the picture of the back of the desk thanks.:)

Hey Richie,
you don't say make/model of the active speakers and if they have XLR balanced or 1/4" input, HI z or LO z impedance. But typically the outputs from the console should be line level, balanced (pin2+) 0dB if you are unbalanced 1/4" you would need an adapter with tip to pin2 and ring strapped to pin 1 and 3 on the xlr.
If your active speakers are -10dB input you will need a resistive pad/attenuator on the output of the console (google inline pads)

I used to have several 24/4/2 studiomaster(RSD) consoles a long time ago back in the UK.:)

hope this helps

Any you could recommend??, they need to be big enough for an average pub type venue for a solo singer......Ive looked around but im not sure whats good and whats not I know if i spend bucketloads there are a lot of companies i could trust such as Mackie but im not sure!?.....

The 15" JBL Eon would be ideal for this, you can usually pick them up from ebay for a reasonable price. One thing to watch is that as this is an old (probably over 25 years!!) budget desk the XLR outputs aren't balanced and the hot (signal) connection is on pin 3 if you're connecting it to a active speaker with balanced inputs using the pin 2 hot convention, to achieve optimum results I'd recommend that you make up a cable like this:

Speaker pin 1 connect to screen of cable leave unterminated and insulated at mixer end
Speaker pin 2 connected to pin 3 of mixer output
Speaker pin 3 connected to pin 1 of mixer output

This method used to be called pseudo balanced (maybe still is??) and will reduce hum and correct the phase of the system, just make sure that the screen isn't allowed to come into contact with any of the pins or shell at the mixer end, this is easily accomplished by cutting the screen where you have stripped the cable and pulling the insulation back over the stripped end, there will usually be enough give in the pvc to cover any exposed screen, use some helleman insulation sleeves or tape for a professional job.

HTH
Stu

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.