Experimental Poetry Act Looking For Busking Setup

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, my name is Justin and I perform as The Ghost Servant

soundcloud.com/theghostservant

I'm in need of a very unique PA setup. I've spent all day researching, but still haven't found quite what I'm looking for inside my budget of less than 300 USD.

I want to do street performance, as well as be able to do unofficial side performances at music festivals that allow it. This would be the sole purpose of the PA.

My music is electronic-based, and specifically, I use a music program on my phone. For live performance, I play directly from it using a 3.5 to 3.5 aux cord for output.
I do vocals. I have a microphone.
I own a Xenyx 802 for mixing, if necessary.

Most likely, I will be playing in places where I won't have the ability to power a PA or the mixer through plugging into an outlet.
Which means I need a battery-powered unit.
And this is where my choices seemed to be extremely limited.

After searching the best I can on the internet, I've narrowed it down to these two:

PB360D Power Box? 360 Deluxe Jobsite AM/FM Stereo with 360 Degree Sound and Digital Media Bay | Bosch

Technical Pro

I like the Bosch construction radio idea because it's super durable and can power not just the mixer, but the phone if I run out of battery. The sub seems like a nice touch too (My music has lots of bass.).
Unfortuantely, I have no idea how it will sound (I've looked for demo models to try), and I only have the option for 3.5 input (which is fine, I have all the conversion pieces.).

The WASP1000 seems perfect. All the inputs I could need, decent on-board mixing options (no need for my mixer), relatively durable, WHEELS (I don't want to have to lug around my set all around downtown Denver or all festival long), and from the specs it has a decent sound.
The real qualm I have with the WASP1000 is there are absolutely no reviews online anywhere. I've seriously looked. Nothing beyond one site that had two reviews that together totaled twenty words. I have no idea if its a quality unit or not.

Any ideas would be appreciated, like battery-powered options I haven't considered. I'm open to all suggestions. Also, if anyone has heard a WASP1000 live, that would be a great help towards my decision.

EDIT: I did some more poking around and found this guy:
CUBE Street :: Products :: Roland
This is probably my best option. Is there anything comparable in quality that's a little less costly?

Last edited:
"Technical Pro" looks like "bedroom DJ" or "home karaoke" quality stuff at best. Better than "white van" but below Gemini/American DJ/Behringer.

See this thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pa-systems/209045-portable-pa-project.html
Investigate those car speakers that I mentioned (ask around at car audio dealers). A line source has useful directional properties if you can get it up in the air, and multiple speakers are more efficient. Have a look at Eminence Alpha series woofers and equivalent house brand speakers at Parts Express. Add a compression tweeter or a piezo may be good enough.
For an amplifier, the TA2024 amps will run from 12V for a long time and are cheap. 100W Class D amps (search on eBay) will need more voltage; two 12V sealed lead-acid in series; the 7AH size is common. Possibly batteries from scrapped hybrid cars.

(edit) The Roland is only 2.5 watts x 2. Try one out in a music store first.

Or, better, this one: http://www.roland.com/products/en/BA-55/

I'm sure there was another thread like this, probably in this forum, with some good ideas.

Last edited:
(edit) The Roland is only 2.5 watts x 2. Try one out in a music store first.

Or, better, this one: BA-55 :: Products :: Roland

I'm sure there was another thread like this, probably in this forum, with some good ideas.

I know it sucks for the regulars when someone double posts threads, so I did search as best I could, but couldn't find anything quite what I was looking for.

I did try out the Roland, and its plenty loud. Funny enough, the day I check it out in the music store, I see a street band downtown. Both guitarists are using that amp. They had nothing but good things to say about it. And at Guitar Center, I can get a 12 month 0% financing. I'd only be paying like 20 bucks a month. I'm going back in to talk about purchasing it on Monday.

Thanks for your reply!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.