Amp Requirements Plz Advise

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All (Updated - 03/05/2012 )

Im doing Mobile DJ playing all sorts of POP/Rock/Dance/Garage music, I have changed some of the drivers I have as ( yep you guessed it - Killed them lol )

Ok this is really confusing me despite googling,,, I need amp/amps that are suitable for the following speakers..

2x 300rms 600W 10" 3way speakers 8 Ohm - (Auna)
2x 250rms 500W 15" 3way speakers 8 Ohm ( Unknwown brand )

Amplifiers = prosound -1000w (doesnt state model number other than ( Prosound 1000/400) However states on output Min 4 Ohm on both
Prosound -400w,

however I only use the 1000W at the moment.

any way,

I connect these speakers by connecting Left/Right channels through 1000W amp, so that the 15" driver sits on the floor then 10" sits on top, connected in parallel. Is this possible??

please advise...

thanks

Chris:p:p

Last edited:
A solid state amplifier will drive its rated impedance or greater. It gives its rated power into the impedance it states as its operating one. Loudspeakers have impedance rather than resistance, as they do not take the same current at different frequencies. It is written in ohms rather than more honestly as a vector quantity with an imaginary portion, because that way at least a few people might understand it, but the ohms are a sort of pious hope; a 4Ω speaker will probably take a bit more current than an 8Ω. Maybe even the double.
Generally amps will tolerate their output load dropping a bit below what they're rated at, if you don't drive them too hard. They're protected against short circuits and, as I've indicated, the impedance of a loudspeaker can drop quite low below its port frequency.

If you put the speakers in parallel on the output of one amplifier, they should work fine, as long as the Ohms law gives you an acceptable impedance; ie. two eight ohm speakers in parallel give you a four ohm load, which most PA style amps tolerate. However, two four ohms gives a two ohm load, which fewer really approve of. It's not generally recommended to put multiway speakers in series, because of the complex interactions.

So yes, if your amp is rated for it, and you have no need to balance up the different speakers (or equalise differently) the two in parallel work fine.

Re-check

As stated above its worth re-checking the impedence of your speakers. Check aslo the power output of your amps, they usually state an 8 ohm output power and a 4 ohm output power.
Also what is a little confusing is that you have a larger RMS value than the rated value.
Usually from what i am aware the RMS value is the lowest of the two and the other is the maximum power (i.e maybe for a very short bass kick or something but not on mormal listening).
You have two amps i would run the 15" speakers one left, one right on the 400w amp and the other two left and right on the 1000w amp. (guessing on the specs you have given).
This is based on the fact that the speakers are 8 ohm and the amps will be happy with this.
Get the specs for your amps and use the RMS value as the power output, see how far above or below even your speaker RMS values are to this.
What you may find is that your amp says 1000w but actually only give out 250w RMS per channel.
So you need to check the actual output power to be correct.
If you can get the models for the speakers and amps then maybe we can be more precise. As there is a more professional way of doing this, but you will need a multimeter/powermeter.

Get back to us and we can help further.

Hi Thanks,, have updated the info

Hi yes correct, have updated the info to better reflect my situ, Rms and W were just inputted wrong ("Dope")...lol

As stated above its worth re-checking the impedence of your speakers. Check aslo the power output of your amps, they usually state an 8 ohm output power and a 4 ohm output power.
Also what is a little confusing is that you have a larger RMS value than the rated value.
Usually from what i am aware the RMS value is the lowest of the two and the other is the maximum power (i.e maybe for a very short bass kick or something but not on mormal listening).
You have two amps i would run the 15" speakers one left, one right on the 400w amp and the other two left and right on the 1000w amp. (guessing on the specs you have given).
This is based on the fact that the speakers are 8 ohm and the amps will be happy with this.
Get the specs for your amps and use the RMS value as the power output, see how far above or below even your speaker RMS values are to this.
What you may find is that your amp says 1000w but actually only give out 250w RMS per channel.
So you need to check the actual output power to be correct.
If you can get the models for the speakers and amps then maybe we can be more precise. As there is a more professional way of doing this, but you will need a multimeter/powermeter.

Get back to us and we can help further.

If it's this amp at Maplin 1000W Power Amplifier : Maplin Electronics, then it claims to do 400W RMS per channel into 4 ohms. So, running two 8 ohm cabinets off each channel would be reasonable.

If you want louder, go with an active crossover, suitable bassbins, and another amp, preferably from a brand without "pro" in the name. As for what bins to build, tapped horns or something from Speakerplans using a 15" driver.

Auna speakers are not suited for continuous professional use. No-name speakers are hardly any different. Replacing the amp will not change that.

Your choices are, either use lower volume during your performances, which can also mean to simply set the equaliser to neutral, or buy some serious speakers. Once you decide to acquire serious speakers, a fitting amp is of course a must.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.