Resonace and 3D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello there i thought id drop a post in here about 3D synthesis, i have also posted into the Music section as this may attract a different perspective.

I have been involved in the Trance music scene for some time and have become very aware of specific systems that seem to allow for not only huge amounts more volume for the same watts but also the ability to precisely create a holgraphic sound field.

The idea came from one event using a rather large Line array in an old river bed.
From what i have discussed with others it appears that resonance is the key to this.
The idea being that at some point there was a very very low rumble at low volume from the system which appeared to be being tuned as it occilated up a little and down a little.

From what i am aware the idea was that the producers were sending out specific frequency's into the valley and then recording the waves which were reflected back to the system.

These reflections were calculated into to the output of the music in order to have a soundfield map of the enviroment with the various delays that occured.
When they were done the producers nodded thier heads and closed the laptops.
When the next artist came to play it was very apparent that something was very different.

The bass and kick had a very chopped like sound to them (like the sound from a helicopter) but much more precise and harmonised.
Teh higher frequency sounds would then throw all around the valley ans seemingly come from behind, above and pretty much everywhere the artist intended them to come from. The bass and kick were also thunderous as if they had added another couple of line arrays to the valley.

I believe that the idea behind this is that they were resonating and pitch bending the varios samples to syncronise with the reflections coming back off the enviroment. Creating standing waves at different frequencies and adjusting these so that the standingwaves would appear in different positions around the areana. Creating a truly large and 3 dimentional soundscape from a stereo source.

Now i have heard of 'The Wall' by Pink Floyd having similar 3D effects but have not yet had a chance to listen to it on a decent system to compare the effect.

I thought i would share this with you as i feel someone with any decent knowledge should be able to confirm what is actually happening here, but i am very sure it is all based on resonance and standing waves.

Anyone feel up to getting on this post feel free to expand our horizons.

I think this effect may only be possible with music like trance due to its fairly constant synth bass , kick and high hat/ cymbal tempo. Sounds like they were tuning the system using a staccato effect in combination with the sound delay from the riverbed walls. I don't know what program/ algorythim it would take to produce it or it may be just reinforced reverberation calculated by distances. Very interesting description:)

I think this effect may only be possible with music like trance due to its fairly constant synth bass , kick and high hat/ cymbal tempo. Sounds like they were tuning the system using a staccato effect in combination with the sound delay from the riverbed walls. I don't know what program/ algorythim it would take to produce it or it may be just reinforced reverberation calculated by distances. Very interesting description:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.