Mixer to Powered Speakers Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there.

I have a PA / Disco set up which is currently a Numark CDJ / Mixer all-in-one combo going into a Behringer crossover using 2 amps going to 2 tops and 2 bass speakers. This is using the master phono out on the desk.

I now want to add 2 powered speakers to the set up. I have purchased 2 powered speakers and hoped to use the record out from the desk (also a phono connection) to send the output straight to the 2 powered speakers as I don't need an amp etc

Is there a type of speaker lead that I can get that will allow me to use 1 phono output to power 2 seperate powered speakers?

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
and hoped to use the record out from the desk

Leads aside for a minute, won't this be a constant level out so the mixer will not raise or lower the volume of your powered speakers?
Perhaps use a Y connector after your mixer and before your amps to send part of the signal to the powered speakers and adjust the gain accordingly?

If you use two $5 Y cables for the left and right you will have the same signal into the two speakers on each channel. If the speakers have a volume control, or one of them does, then you are fine. If the speakers do not have volume control and you don't like the volume balance that results, you need a mixer to set different levels. You can build a passive mixer using pototentiometers to turn one output down, or buy an active one with separate master and monitor volume outputs and controls. The second solution will be heavier and more expensive. However if one speaker has better bass or treble than the other, then it might be useful to buy a mixer with tone controls to make the master and monitor feeds from different frequencies.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It has worked ok when using it going into other amps in the past.
That's fine, perhaps I misunderstood what you meant by "record out". That to me is a constant level output. If it's a variable out and it works, go for it. Your powered speakers will have an independent gain so they can be balanced to your mains.

Is there a better way do you think or am I looking at a new desk?
Only you know if you are happy with it or not.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
From reading the owners manual online, The XLR "out" is for daisy chaining. This particular speaker sums the input so you only have to use one speaker. So... if you are going to use them for stereo, and plan to use the RCA inputs just use a Y adapter at the exit from the mixer (to hook up both your amplifier and the powered speakers) and another Y adapter at the back of each speaker so you are using both left and right inputs.

If you want to use the speakers as mono, then you can cut down the number of Y cables by running both channels to the back of one speaker and run an XLR over to the other.

It just occurred to me while I was dropping my wife off at the mall to buy, what else but a new pair of shoes, that you probably don't need a second Y at the back of the speakers as the amp sums the channels so just plug it into the right channel (usually it's the right channel)

And...

If you want to daisy chain, you might have to use the XLR inputs to use the XLR outputs.

Good luck.

Daisy chaining and Y is good to a point. CERTAINLY two or three speakers is NO problem. However if you ever need to add a LOT more then would suggest a distribution amplifier to maintain signal level and impedance to each speaker.

REMEMBER:
In order to preserve signal level and frequency response, it's important to drive equipment with a source signal that is lower in impedance than the destination equipment's input impedance. If the input impedance of a device is not significantly higher than the source impedance, the signal will be reduced or “loaded down” and its signal to noise ratio and frequency response will suffer.

You want to keep at least a 10 to 1 ratio.

Crossover output impedence is probably only a couple of hundred Ohms AVERAGE, but remember that impedence varies with frequency so you want to leave a buffer of impedence to keep clean sound.
(Bad enough fighting with plastic wedge cabinet, don't want to give up anything in signal).
Figure that the amplifier input is above 12k or 15k Ohms, so you should be able to get at least 3 or maybe even 4 speakers per output off of the Crossover before you start to degrade audio or require a distribution amp.
Also: cable length is a factor, longer cable = less speakers that you want to split.

Just in case anyone does not know: splitting a single output to multiple destinations is one thing. Summing with a Wye is how equipment gets destroyed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.