Is this a constrained-layer damping DJ booth?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A while ago I stumbled across this video in which David Mancuso, a DJ known for being a meticulous audiophile, appears to have specified a DJ booth be custom built in a particular manner for a party he was playing. The video is here: Dave Mancuso Urban Club MItico - YouTube

My understanding is that his usual "booth" consists of towers of stacked concrete blocks but in this case it appears that they are building what seems to be a kind of constrained-layer damping table. It looks to me like this is 6 alternating layers of plywood and foam sheeting of some sort. Here are some screenshots that show detail of the booth: Photo Album - Imgur

I'm curious if anyone has any insight or comments on this booth's construction. For example, would you use a particular type of foam sheeting, would glue be used as well as screws for another layer in between foam and wood, etc.?

After recently attending a party at which several very high-profile DJs were forced to play on a rather wobbly Ikea table I became interested in what could be done to construct a better solution that would be both relatively cheap to assemble and potentially portable.

I was thinking that a table like this could possibly be constructed such that the constrained-layer tabletop could be split into two or three suitcase sized pieces to make them portable by an individual and fit inside a vehicle. The tabletops would then be bolted to separate base units or possibly just be fitted with something like Sorbothane feet and placed on an existing sturdy table.

How would you go about building something like this? Any comments, insights or design and construction advice would be appreciated.

My first question is why are they using screws mid-panel to hold it together? Doesn't that partly defeat the purpose?

I'm unsure if screws were used other than to secure the bottom sheet of plywood to the base. The next images show the thing fully assembled so for all i know the rest of it was built up with glue. I guess that would defeat the purpose if each successive sheet of plywood were screwed down through the foam into the preceding sheet, yes?

Actually, after looking at those screenshots a bit more I wonder if that is not foam and plywood but alternating layers of plywood and particle board or an MDF type material. The bottom layer is clearly plywood but based on the edge colors and surface texture the darker layers, including the top layer kind of look like particle board.

Stacked concrete blocks are definitely good. Problems arise when the floor is not structural. If a floor is timber I usually try stamping around untill I find out where the main structual menbers are in the floor and try to locate the turntables on that area.
For outdoor venues one amazing solution is oil drums full of sand. Sort of transportable but incredibly inert when in position!
I used to use paving slabs for deck supports. In the UK a standard size is 450mm square which is the width of a SL1210. The slabs ring, so I would sandwich a coule of slabs together with Blutak - The viscous material made the slab assembly very inert.
Many sucessful clubs in the UK used concrete or brick pillars in the DJ booths.
Some went on to use slab deck supports with structural steel columns.
The important thing with these type supports is to build them directly off the structual members within the building, and to ensure that the rest of the DJ booth does not touch the deck columns.
I later added stone slabs under the turntables, the slabs were 3" thick.
I also built a steel frame made from angle iron. This was a 5 leg table. 3 of the legs were triangulated for rigidity. the other two were just outriggers for stablity. All of the 5 legs had adjustable feet for accomodating different floor levels. The 450mm slabs fitted in the top framework, and were supported by 3spikes each. The stone slabs sat on top of the square 450mm paving slab sandwich and were supported by 3 coins to make another tripod assembly.
The deck was then placed on that. The whole thing was portable. The frame would fit on the van roofrack.
Given a solid floor you could drop the needle on to a stationary deck and turn up the gain with the decks in front of a 5Kw stack without any feedback:D

Sketch attached to give you an idea of how I built my frame table.
I also added a 3D PDF for reference!
Regards Xoc1

Attachments

• Deck Table Assy.JPG
    Deck Table Assy.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 102
  • Deck Table Assy.PDF
    47.7 KB · Views: 47
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.