Need 1/4" jacks that are sealed from airflow, mount in steel plate electrically insul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I doubt 1/4" connectors are quite as hardy.

The pins may be #14 but there's no way I could get #14 wire to connect to most XLR plugs or jacks.

XLR and 1/4" jacks are both really not great choices for speakers, but 1/4 is the standard for semi-pro instrument amps and PA, whereas XLR are almost always for balanced mic or line. 35 years in the business and I've never seen a commercial XLR cable that used heavy wire, just #22 twisted pair under a shield and drain at the best, not intended for high-current speakers. And the requirement is 2-conductor, not 3. Then again 1/4" shorts momentarily during insertion and removal unless you always unplug the amp end first. The more we discuss it the more I'm convinced the Neutrik Speak-On is all I need or want.

Quite a few a very pro companies back in the day used XLR connectors on their cabinets, Turbosound and Martin come to mind quick. Before the Neutrik Speakon many people and companies used twist lock power connectors for speaker connections. The Cannon EP connector was also popular for quite a while, with 6 conductors you could make a single connection to three way tri-amped box. Today the speakon NL4 and NL8 rule the market.

Well, I'm done. I wish I'd just left the 1/4" connectors off. I used Neutrik brank 1/4" locking jacks, with the button to remove the 1/4" TS or TRS plug. I also mounted Neutrik NL4. I wired the 1/4" with one wire to each driver, and all 4 driver terminals are connected to the Neutrik. So I wired Neutric NL4 "plugs" with internal jumpers that just wire the drivers in parallel or series for the 1/4" jack to use. And of course the Neurtik NL4 can be wired and used in any way since they have all dirver terminals wired to them.

Next question:

What's the standard for the 1/4" jack. With + on the tip, should the cone move in or out?

What's the standard for wiring the NL4 for two drivers (mostly interested in polarity)? Wire one driver to which pins, other to which, and which way should the cone move with + on which...

Last edited:
I don't understand what you are saying. Postive on positive? + on +? Huh?
means nothing to me. Bass driver on only one terminal? Treble driver on only one terminal? You lost me.

I understand the NL2/NL4 concerns, but I don't really know how to wire either.
Saw it online somewhere though...

On the NL4 the bass is on TWO terminals, and the treble on 2 others...which of the 4 terminals are paired for one driver, which are paired for the other driver? And then which of each pair is + for cone to move out?

For the 1/4" is the tip or the sleeve positive for the come to move out?

OK I think my confusion woth the NL4 is how the pins are numbered. I can't see mine anymore (mounted and shrinwrap) so I'll buy a plug and use a meter to see which color wire is which. I should have written it down before covering. So if the NL4 are +1/-1/+2/-2 I'd expected just 1/2/3/4.

For the 1/4 inch plugs another thread post said + on the TIP moves cone forward so I'm OK there now.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
This might help, wide keyway on the front aligns with pin 1+

Attachments

• IMG_0818.JPG
    IMG_0818.JPG
    198.2 KB · Views: 40
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.